Keyless Entry Range - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Keyless Entry Range
Friday, March 01, 2013 7:19 PM
So the range in my keyless entry is garbage. My mom's Grand Prix works from a good distance, as well as my friend's truck, which is also a GM. The key fobs are the same. Sometimes I have to be right on top of the car, pointing it at my trunk, and it still doesn't work. The chin trick doesn't work, and I've replaced the battery in both remotes, and I'm considering buying a new fob from the dealer.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to give me some better range? I'm not looking to unlock my door from a half a mile away, but I need something. I'd prefer not to get an aftermarket alarm/ keyless entry because I hate huge keychains and would like to keep my factory unit unless I'm going to replace the entire fob with one that can pop the trunk too.

Re: Keyless Entry Range
Friday, March 01, 2013 7:21 PM
Changed your battery recently?
Friday, March 01, 2013 7:33 PM
Philly D wrote:Changed your battery recently?

If you're talking about the car's battery, yeah, I got it for my other Cav in September and swapped it over. The key fobs also have new batteries.

Friday, March 01, 2013 7:49 PM
I have the same problem. This sounds strange, but try pushing the unlock button softer. I found if I press it too hard it doesn't register sometimes. It's really weird. I also a brand new battery in the fob, and the car for that matter.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, March 01, 2013 7:52 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:I have the same problem. This sounds strange, but try pushing the unlock button softer. I found if I press it too hard it doesn't register sometimes. It's really weird. I also a brand new battery in the fob, and the car for that matter.

I'll give it a shot. I don't suppose there's a way to rip out a better GM keyless entry from something and wire it in without a huge hassle?

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 8:22 PM
95-99 J's were a different keyless module working on a different frequency modulation with a larger receiver box mounted in the trunk on the drivers side. this enabled them to be used up to 30 ft away as specified in the original GM owners manual. 00+ used a smaller receiver box located near the interior hood release which operated on a much different frequency as was made a requirement by the FCC, giving it a range of only 8-10 ft as specified in orignal GM owners manuals. it's simply how its designed thanks to GM and the FCC. 8-10 feet away if your lucky on a good day is the best you will get with the newer systems. the newest GM keyless systems only work from 5-7 ft away and will auto relock if a vehicle's door is not opened in 20-30 seconds.

"Is that your exhaust or is that the sound of someone deflating a cat?"
Thursday, March 07, 2013 10:44 AM
Pretty sure half of that is false cause my 04 would unlock from across the lot. My 99 had problems with the key fob and that was fixed by replacing it.

Have a nice day.
Sunday, March 10, 2013 11:16 PM
Yeah my Z is a '98 and sometimes when I'm on top of the car it doesn't work. I'll try running with the other fob I have before I go buy anew one.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:11 PM
J-body's is 30 feet.
Your range will lower when there are power lines, or antennas near by.
Also putting it under your chin for some reason adds range too.

You can also reset it by holding "Unlock" & "Lock" together for 7 seconds.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search