Anyone know can you change 2000 sunfire gauge cluster color? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Anyone know can you change 2000 sunfire gauge cluster color?
Friday, March 29, 2013 12:52 AM
Iv done some digging but I can't find a real consistent answer. I wanna go blue with my 2000 sunfire cluster and would like to keep the stock face. Iv read that you could by unsoldering the bulbs or something but haven't confirmed it.
I would like to get a basic insight before I go ripping into a spare. Can you remove the needles from a 2000?

Re: Anyone know can you change 2000 sunfire gauge cluster color?
Monday, April 01, 2013 12:49 AM
this can answer some questions just have to dig though it How To Change the color of your 95-99 cluster gauges w/ LED's - Interior Forum
Tuesday, April 02, 2013 10:45 AM
Ok well iv read through that whole thread and I'm confused lol some people say you have to solder new LEDs on and some people say you can't take in appart without damaging it. I'm thinking the easiest route would be to get a custom overlay. But then can it be installed since the needles can't be removed? I want one with a blue led to match my interior.
Thursday, April 04, 2013 10:00 AM
You can take the needles off the stepper motors, I have done it to replace the stepper motors. There is a possibility of damaging the stepper motors if you take them off. What makes the cluster glow red, is that there is a red film that is kinda silk screened onto the overly, just like the HVAC face or if you have an auto, the [PRND32] indicator. Your question involving the bulbs: The stock bulbs are soldered onto the circuit board.
Monday, April 29, 2013 11:15 PM
i did it when i swapped out my stepper motors, you can solder in regular blue leds with a resistor (think i used 470) or grab some 12 volt leds in blue. i found that it left some bright/dark patches in the lighting so i gabbed a self adhesive 12 volt led strip (about 2 feet) in blue and stuck it around the inside of the cluster as well. soldered that to one of the unused light sockets on the board. worked very well. as for taking the needles off, i just used a pair of spoons on either sides of the needle and applied even pressure. took apart a couple of clusters that way and never damaged any of them.
Tuesday, April 30, 2013 10:17 AM
Joe Nobody wrote:i did it when i swapped out my stepper motors, you can solder in regular blue leds with a resistor (think i used 470) or grab some 12 volt leds in blue. i found that it left some bright/dark patches in the lighting so i gabbed a self adhesive 12 volt led strip (about 2 feet) in blue and stuck it around the inside of the cluster as well. soldered that to one of the unused light sockets on the board. worked very well. as for taking the needles off, i just used a pair of spoons on either sides of the needle and applied even pressure. took apart a couple of clusters that way and never damaged any of them.
Sounds like you have a 99 or older cluster, since you're talking about bulb sockets.

The 2000+ clusters have LEDs in them already, and the needles do not easily come off the stepper motors. Most of the time, the shaft comes out of the motor itself, ruining the motor.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:32 PM
2004 sunfire cluster. light socket wasn't really the best term i suppose. i was referring to one of the places on the pcb that has the same markings as the ones that hold the original lights (and i don't think those are leds, just small bulbs) but are empty. and if you pull the needles carefully they seem to come off easily enough if you apply even pressure from both sides of the needle (ie the pair of spoons). only 1 needle in out of 4 clusters didn't want to come off and a few minutes under a blow dryer seemed to loosen that one up enough come off easily afterwards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGzVLhMpky8
this is how i remove needles. (only a bit more gently) and have not had any problems.
Monday, May 13, 2013 7:49 AM
I would buy a junk yard one from a pick'n'pull or online dirt cheap and experiment on that. then you're not tearing up your perfectly good working one and you'll have one to swap back if you dont like it.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search