replacing factory stereo - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
replacing factory stereo
Saturday, May 04, 2013 8:48 PM
Hey guys, I'm just bought another cavalier and plan on selling the one I have. My old one has my aftermarket stereo in it and I'm wondering if it's a lot of work to switch that out with the factory one again. I had the aftermarket deck professionally installed so I don't know what he changed. I was hoping I could put my aftermarket deck from my old car to my new car. Thanks

Re: replacing factory stereo
Saturday, May 04, 2013 9:28 PM
if im not mistaken they don't even splice things these days. chances are you just have a wiring harness that adapts your factory harness to the deck, and then the deck mount piece itself. you should be able to remove the custom harness and the plastic adapter and plug in a factory radio.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Sunday, May 05, 2013 12:52 AM
It also depends on the year of Cavi. They changed the harness in..Hell I don't remember.
Sunday, May 05, 2013 9:08 AM
Right, sorry. It's an 02 base cavalier.

teal wrote:It also depends on the year of Cavi. They changed the harness in..Hell I don't remember.

Sunday, May 05, 2013 8:43 PM
It really depends on who did the stereo and how.. sometimes a professional isn't all that professional. Best way to check is just pull the deck out and see what's back there.

Have a nice day.
Sunday, May 05, 2013 9:52 PM
What year is your new car, and what year is the old car?
Monday, May 06, 2013 11:16 AM
John Lenko wrote:What year is your new car, and what year is the old car?

they're both 2002.

Monday, May 06, 2013 11:40 AM
Ive been reading about this as well, 2k plus uses the Metra 2003 harness I believe

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Monday, May 06, 2013 11:55 AM
Crystal Peters wrote:
John Lenko wrote:What year is your new car, and what year is the old car?

they're both 2002.

Perfect. Assuming (and it's a big assumption) that the "professional installer" used a harness to connect it.. you should be able to take the dash apart in both cars, and swap the radio over.

However.. The factory radio in your new car, when swapped into the old car, will display "LOC" (locked) and will not work until you take it to a dealer and have the Body Control Module (BCM) flashed to recognize the new radio. Most dealers around me charge $90 for this 5 second job... but if you sweet talk somebody at the service desk you might be able to swing a freebee. No guarantees though..
Monday, May 06, 2013 5:26 PM
If you are selling the one you have now, just put the radio in the trunk and let the new owner @!#$ with it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search