SE to a GT - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
SE to a GT
Sunday, May 26, 2013 2:55 PM
Hi I have a relative who wants their 2001 base model sunfire turned into a GT they've had this car for a while nd won't let it go but they want keep the 2200 can I just go get the under dash harness and body harness will I be able to plug them in to the existing BCM and work or no?? Thanks

Re: SE to a GT
Sunday, May 26, 2013 3:03 PM
Sorry the project car is 2001 sunfire coupe SE 4 speed and the donor car is a 2001 sunfire coupe GT 4 speed
Monday, May 27, 2013 11:32 AM
What options are they looking for that require you swapping the dash and body harness? Just curious.

And yes.. the BCM and dash and all will plug into any 00-05 harness. That way you keep your existing mileage correct on the odometer.

True SE to GT means the better suspension as well...
Monday, May 27, 2013 12:18 PM
It's like a bone stock they want power lock, power windows, and the fogs but they don't want aftermarket parts
Thursday, May 30, 2013 8:16 PM
I've done exactly that, swap harnesses to add power options to an otherwise base model car... twice now, both on sedans so there's two extra doors to make it even more difficult. It's a lot of work... basically, gut the entire interior, remove the harnesses and start over. The body harness will require you to drill out some rivets on the fuel pump pass-thru plate, so if you're going to pull one at a wrecker make sure you bring a cordless drill... or a pry bar and hope you don't destroy it (as I did once). The dash harness goes into the engine bay, where it connects under the factory intake airbox.. also attaches to the headlight harness under the battery tray, and the front impact sensor for the airbags, on the front rad support.

Swapping the manual door lock latch for the powered version is a pain. The second time, I skipped it and bought aftermarket solenoids off Ebay. Much easier. Power windows I've never added... didn't look like much fun... but if you're going to go that far, it would probably be worthwhile to swap the doors completely.

The existing BCM won't be programmed for any power options.. like keyless entry. Probably won't even have an antenna. If you swap it, you'll need to do a relearn to make the car run, and the mileage from the donor car will swap over.

Either way... it's a LOT of work for little gain.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search