Several audio questions pls help I think this fool really messed this car up - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Several audio questions pls help I think this fool really messed this car up
Saturday, May 04, 2013 11:22 AM
1. I have a 04 Cavalier and the guy I brought the car from about a year ago had crap in the radio port. I honestly want to go back to stock as far as the radio and purchased a OEM unit ( The unit is an LS unit the car is a LS Sport ) the only problem is the guy I brought it from didn't have the originally harness that snaps into the back of the OEM radio head is there a way that I can get this to work without it or atleast find a manufactor who makes an aftermarket harness for the LS radio head? Also is there a way I can add an external AUX port to the OEM LS head?

2. The guy rewired the speakers himself and from what I can tell the wire gauge to the rear speakers has to be like 22 or better. Like the wire is so small I can't use a wire stripper because it always seems to break the wire, and instead of a multi strand wire it looks like there are maybe two tiny wires inside I can't possible be getting any current to the speakers for decent sound. Also where can I route the wires through the car to the rear speakers so that they don't show?

3. When I lowered my rear seats to put a TV stand in the car I notice he cut two wires that were back there I think they are for either the XM radio or on Star i'm not sure maybe you guys know what those wires are? ( Has a XM receiver on top of the vehicle )

4. I went and got a bracket to put into the radio holder and even got a new radio unfortunately the bracket wont sit flush into the dash and I can't get the dash to snap back into place over it maybe you guys could help me with that too, Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Several audio questions pls help I think this fool really messed this car up
Saturday, May 04, 2013 11:33 AM
junk yard harness and rewire the thing. no idea if you can add a aux input though

Re: Several audio questions pls help I think this fool really messed this car up
Saturday, May 04, 2013 11:52 AM
Thats pretty much what was thinking but its hard to find a harness for the LS radio in these lame junk yards around here lol
Saturday, May 04, 2013 7:42 PM
Personally, I would run all new wiring. New,power,Acc,Gnd,and speaker.
Saturday, May 04, 2013 7:53 PM
teal wrote:Personally, I would run all new wiring. New,power,Acc,Gnd,and speaker.

Pretty much the only way to do it right since you don't know what was done. If I had to GUESS without seeing anything....

LS Sports came with a factory amp that amplifies ONLY the rear speakers; it won't work with 99.999% of aftermarket radios. Therefore, you have to bypass that amp and run fresh speaker wire from the aftermarket head unit to the rear speakers. The front speakers are not amped and therefore are unaffected and don't need rewired. That is most likely what happened. It's possible that the amplifier power wires were also cut to prevent the amp from turning on as it is no longer needed. The amp is located on the driver side of the trunk behind the side carpeting.

So the factory plug is no longer there? Meaning they cut the plug off and spliced whatever wires they needed to the aftermarket harness? If you can, snap a picture of the wires in the dash without the radio in.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, July 01, 2013 10:26 AM
metra makes the factory radio plug its 71-2003 part number.
Monday, July 01, 2013 6:12 PM
Like I said. Run new wires. Power,Accessory,Ground and Speaker. With as much as a new factory harness, and stock radio from a junkyard is going to cost you. You'd be better of buying something new. Just go to Wal-mart buy a radio with the features you want.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search