How do the pros do it? SPL without bass boost - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How do the pros do it? SPL without bass boost
Saturday, July 20, 2013 10:54 PM
Hey guys, I've been fiddling with amp settings and looking up things for awhile now, but I just can't figure out how people do high SPL without using bass boost. My sub seems so quiet at rated power in a 3 cb ft box port tuned to 32 hz compared to some others I've heard. Is it simply because the sub only takes 350w rms? Lookin' for any help or advice people can give me.

Audio specs are on my page, but the sub is a 12" Infinity Kappa 120.9w, the amp is a Kenwood KAC-8105D and the headunit is JVC KD R620.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Before current box i had a 2cb~ ft box port tuned to 30hz and it was quieter than it was now, and that was Infinity suggested size for ported boxes, both of the boxes I made myself

Re: How do the pros do it? SPL without bass boost
Sunday, July 21, 2013 5:50 AM
The secret to high SPL has not changed over the last decade. More power, and more subs.
Sunday, July 21, 2013 2:15 PM
and good electrical to back it all up

Sunday, July 21, 2013 3:29 PM
^^^^That. You can 20 subs and 10 amps and still not get loud if your electrical cant keep up.

Sorry to break it to you but youre never going to get very loud on 350w.

Monday, July 22, 2013 11:07 AM

How much SPL are you looking for? Maybe try to aim the sub in a different direction. Sound deaden the car, that will help too.
Monday, July 22, 2013 11:18 AM
Also make sure that box is built to spec... I managed to hit 141db's with 1 Rockford P2's with a 600watt RMS amp, and it was a Hifonics Amp so it probably wasn't even seeing 600 true watts. Box was around 2 cubic ft, tuned to 33hz. That was about 3-4 years ago.

Saturday, September 14, 2013 10:51 AM
Look up snailshell speaker enclosures (If they're still around) They had two 6.5" subs in a snail shell enclosure and the amp was only like 200 watts and it hit very hard and loud ! I think it was like 140db or somewhere around that. A lot of it has to do with the enclosure being made to the specs of the driver (speaker) There's equations for this (i.e. thiel/small parameters, etc...)
Saturday, September 14, 2013 10:57 AM
Also, with a perfectly built, matched, and tuned system you should be able to get loud, clean and quality sound even with all the frequency/tone controls (bass, treble, etc.) set to flat. True Audiophiles don't believe in or use loudness controls or bass boost.
Wednesday, January 29, 2014 6:28 PM
i was hitting low 140s with 2 12s and only 400 watts rms with my old system. the secret to SPL is small box, large port, and higher tuning. my box was tuned to 40hz with my 12s. SPL builds are usually tuned higher than DD systems. ~40-50hz. if i were you i would make a sub box that has an internal volume of 2 cubes with around 35-40 in^2 of port volume. here ill make a box that would most likely hit much harder than your current box, try this out.
Attachments
Messages Image(2029821227).png (279k)

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 6:39 PM
Sparky15_00 (Corsica Dude) wrote:Also make sure that box is built to spec... I managed to hit 141db's with 1 Rockford P2's with a 600watt RMS amp, and it was a Hifonics Amp so it probably wasn't even seeing 600 true watts. Box was around 2 cubic ft, tuned to 33hz. That was about 3-4 years ago.

maxxsonics, (the company who makes hifonics and 3 other brands) is a very nice manufacturer and hifonics is a cea2006 compliant manufacturer so all of their amps ratings are true. hifonics amps actually make more rms then they are rated. and if you don't believe me check out this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t7Z2T7_LB8

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search