Custom Built SMS Controlled Remote Starter - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Custom Built SMS Controlled Remote Starter
Sunday, November 16, 2014 11:41 PM
I originally made a reddit post about this, though I thought you guys would be interested:
http://www.reddit.com/r/arduino/comments/2izu1t/completed_project_sms_controlled_remote_car/

The gist of it is that I had a few spare fobs for my remote starter (Python 4103) after the first unit was DOA and wanted to make something cool. So I disassembled the fob, soldered some wires to the button contacts and attached it to an Arduino microcontroller. Then I got a cheap GSM modem board for the Arduino and programmed everything to accept text message commands from my phone. I also added a temperature sensor so I could tell how cold the interior is and if it's worth having it idle for 10 minutes.

Since I use an Android phone, I was able to automate sending the text messages with an app called Tasker. I can activate the remote starter, unlock and lock the doors and pop the trunk with shortcuts on my homescreen. With the Autovoice app, I can use voice commands control everything. Sure, the homescreen shortcuts are usually faster, but it's so cool to start your car by talking to your phone.

I also made a switch panel to go into my radio cubby to shut my device off, disable the remote starter and cut the radio's remote amp power on.

Re: Custom Built SMS Controlled Remote Starter
Monday, November 17, 2014 10:28 AM
This is awesome, I always love seeing peoples different electronic projects. My roommate is trying to build a robotic Pixar lamp using an Arduino.
Monday, November 17, 2014 1:38 PM

Excellent work, that's really bad ass!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, November 18, 2014 9:45 AM
Very cool man, well done.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search