New 6x9 installation in 2004 LS sport - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New 6x9 installation in 2004 LS sport
Wednesday, June 08, 2016 10:04 AM
Hi Everyone! I have had an account for years but haven't posted since like 2007 or so. Anyway I recently bought a Pioneer FX-820BT head unit to replace my Old single DIN JVC unit I bought in 2009. Got that installed, works great, no issues except it just has too much power for the stock speakers. so I bought some pioneer 4x6's for the doors and 6x9's for the rear. Saw they made speaker harnesses to simplify wiring so I was like great. Everything went smooth until I went to plug in the harness and found out I have 4 speaker wires! So now I'm going to ditch the harness and wire it the old fashion way. Realized I have an amp thats pretty much useless with aftermarket head units, So whats the best way to wire my speakers? should I bypass the amp all together? If I don't will I still be able to take advantage of the built in amp on the head unit or will that bottleneck it? Which 2 wires do I use exactly? and If I bypass the amp does anyone have a picture of which wires tap into? I have googled for info and found some posts on here but they are all from a long time ago with images that are no longer found. Any help would be greatly apprecated. Thanks!

Re: New 6x9 installation in 2004 LS sport
Wednesday, June 08, 2016 10:46 PM
Not sure what exactly ur talking bout but if ur not running subs then i wouldn't worry bout the amp for 6x9s. Not saying u don't need the amp, but the head unit should be sufficient for most ppls needs. Also every speaker has 2 wires. Positive and negative.

ReD RaiN
Thursday, June 09, 2016 7:38 AM
I have the so-called premium audio system. There's an amp between the rear speakers located behind the left side of the carpet in the trunk. It also acts as a crossover providing separate channels for the woofer and tweeter on the factory 6x9's meaning their are 4 wires. Anyways I figured it out and I just cut the harness off the amp. The 4 wires going in were the same wire's coming off the head unit with dark blue/light blue being the right speaker, and the yellow/brown being the left speaker so I soldered those wires to their corresponding colors coming out of the amp. Then that just left 2 dead wires on each side and I just used the appropriate colors and soldered the leads that came with the pioneer speakers and plugged them in and it worked. Not all j-bodies have the amp, pretty much just sunfire GT and Cavalier z-24/ls sport
Thursday, June 09, 2016 11:10 PM
Sorry i missunderstood and didnt realise some came with factory amps. Interesting

ReD RaiN
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search