Testing Amp - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Testing Amp
Thursday, February 24, 2005 7:22 PM
Whats the best way to test an amp to see if its blown? Ive had my amp for a while and i never had any problems with it. i got a new headunit put in and its all hooked up right. i had my system out for a few months since i had my air ride in my trunk. i made a new box to get it to fit and now when i hook it all up, the fuse on the amp keeps blowing. Its a 30 amp fuse (its a small amp, only puts out 319 watts) i changed the fuse and as soon as i turn the radio on, it blows. everything is hooked up the same as it use to be. i cant figure it out. only thing i can think of is the amp is finally burnt. how would i go about checking it? i have a volt meter. should i just turn the car on with the amp on and touch the positive to see if its getting any power? sorry, maybe a newb post but when it comes to audio i dont know much about it. i mainly stick to exterior and suspension

Re: Testing Amp
Thursday, February 24, 2005 7:31 PM
Are you sure you're not shorting anything out bro? Check your wires,make sure you don't have a hot touching chassis or anthing, even hot touching the amp chassis. Turn the gain on your amp all the way down, and your volume down, then slowly turn it up. See if that helps

Beat it like it owes you money
Thursday, February 24, 2005 8:28 PM
i'll try to that, i'll turn the senitivity down on the amp and the bass on the amp but i did start out by putting the radio volume on 1 and it kept blowing. i'll check the wires tomorrow after it stops snowing

Friday, February 25, 2005 8:27 AM
is the fuse at the amp, in the amp. or under the hood blowing?
if under the hood or at the amp its a short if in the amp then your amp has issues.
maybe you'll be lucky and its only a shorted out diode between + and - (diodes only flow current one way. that way if you hook your wires up backwards your fuse will blow. if its bad it can either stop letting current flow when + and - are switched or, let current flow both ways).

Friday, February 25, 2005 2:15 PM
the fuse on the amp is blowing. maybe it could be from the wires from the box to the amp. im pretty sure i hooked it up right.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search