Adapting Stock rear speaker connectors - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Adapting Stock rear speaker connectors
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 9:28 PM
Hey guys I've got a 2001 z24 cav and i've built my own sub/ amp system planning on for starts just running the high level rear speaker connectors into my high level input on my amp...lol... problem is that those connectors don't match...is this something that I can use to adapt via radio shack or what

Re: Adapting Stock rear speaker connectors
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 9:38 PM
Clarification: the speaker connectors are 4 pin females in a square alignment...the amp has a five pin male connector with all 5 in a line.
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 10:35 PM
Of course they don't fit! Every amp has different high level inputs and almost every car has different speaker input plug. I don't think that there is even ONE amp that will take the plugs from your speakers directly.

Mark which is the positive and negative, left and right on the speakers and match it up with the wires on the harness to the smp. Solder and done.

Unless I missed something....

Jay

One huge aluminum wing - $200
More vinyl graphics than your ride can handle - $150
Decals for products you don’t even have - $10
500lbs of Car Audio equipment in the trunk - $1500
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Getting slaughtered by a KIA - Priceless
Thursday, February 24, 2005 5:05 AM
Some high level amp connections have a ground to them - just hook that up to chassis ground and you're golden.

Beat it like it owes you money
Thursday, February 24, 2005 11:45 AM
For example, MTX uses a simple 4 pin harness for high level, left+, left-, right+, right-. I just cut the wire, branced in an extension to the amp's harness, and made it all pretty with heat shrink.

"Sup, G?"
"Aren't you white?"
"Only on the outside, craka."
Thursday, February 24, 2005 1:21 PM
Thanks for the pointers. I went shufflin through my amp box and sure enough found a small harness for the highs. Gonna make one last trip to Radio Shack tonight for a couple other parts and hopefully will have the woofers beating like they owe me money late tonight.

The noob of all noobs...
Studying: "Jack of all Trades" Engineering at The University of Illinois Urbana/Champaign
Thursday, February 24, 2005 2:30 PM
of the available options to consumers, here's how I'm gonna rank them to my experience:
Best: Dedicated RCA pre-outs from the head unit
MidQuality: High level harness done right. Yes, there are ways to do it sh!tty. Just do like I said above and make sure the connections are together solid.
Low: High to low (speaker wire to rca) adapter. I've only ever heard one system that worked decent on that setup. I tried it with mine, using the Scosche (sp?) adapter. Not a good experience.

"Sup, G?"
"Aren't you white?"
"Only on the outside, craka."
Friday, February 25, 2005 12:43 PM
Thanks guys for the tips, my subs sound absolutly awesome. I took a friend from work for a drive who is an experienced audio and performance installer and he said I got a A+ for my first sound system. The subs hit hard...REALLY hard and the clarity is really really good for useing the speaker level highs. Eventually I'll probably replace the head unit, but I'll need to consult a pro before I jump into something that tricky. Thanks Again!!

DS

The noob of all noobs...
Studying: "Jack of all Trades" Engineering at The University of Illinois Urbana/Champaign
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search