Anyone in Canada bought their amp from the U.S? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Anyone in Canada bought their amp from the U.S?
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 3:22 PM
Wondering what you paid for duty/brokerage?
i had my eye on an amp i found on ebay, for 140 U.S., any help with what yours costed for these charges would be greatly appreciated.....
I was looking for a site to do this but couldn't....even an accurate ball park figure...

I got my gauges from there, but i highly doubt the charges will be similar.

thanks,
Kristen

Re: Anyone in Canada bought their amp from the U.S
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 4:16 PM
How far are you from the border? Do you guys only have to pay that if it's shipped?

09 HHR LS, Wife's Car
05 Cavalier, Clarion DXZ375MP, Autotek MM8000.5 & 13Kv.2, wife's old car, updates coming soon
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 4:39 PM
You have to pay the duty (depend of your province) and brokerage, this will depend on your carrier, USPS(Canada Post) is the cheapest. UPS and Purolator cost more, go to their web site to know how much it will cost you.

2 x Adire Brahma 15", 2 x PA A3000DB
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 5:57 PM
I am in Brampton, like 20 minutes from toronto....
i tried to find some kind of prices of estimates, but cant find anything about this....

not sure if we only pay if its shipped or not??!!

Anyone else have a ball park figure??
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 7:04 PM
If you can get the seller to ship to you as a "gift", I have done this a few times and has either lowered the duty fees or eliminated them all together. For a package around $100 I think I payed $15 at one point and that was to Sudbury.

Hope this Helps
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 8:16 PM
My only advice to you... don't let them ship via UPS... you will get reamed with the duties... I paid $38 duties on a $99USD item... rip off...

Try www.etronics.com

They have decent prices and give you a final price with brokerage, taxes and all. I have ordered several items from them. Shipping will take a full 14 days though.

The other way is to get them to send it via USPS as some ppl have mentioned above. I think that will probably have the cheapest brokerage. Call around, cause that amp for $140, can end up costing you $60-$80 dollars more.

<b>"In this world, nothing is certain but death and taxes." </b>
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 5:04 AM
hey all,
for the price of $140 US, the same amp here will cost me $460, but with the 140 i am looking at $206 shipped, so that is why i am curious of the duty etc.....

ALPINE 350w MRD-M301 CLASS D MONO

New.

So i will still get it hopefully for about 1/2 price....
I asked them how they ship, and if they could ship USPS, to save a bit on the brokerage, etc...also asked if they would put gift, or put broken electronics....

Thanks again,
Kristen
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 7:18 AM
Go for airmail. It only gets taxed when it drives across the border. I was told by UPS that the same applies to them, if they fly it over the border you dont have to pay any brokerage.

I bought my amp off ebay for $100, on top of what i paid to have it shipped, I got a bill from ups for $38, $17 was their handling charge and the rest was duty.
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 5:45 PM
Well i went ahead and purchased the amp, for 212 shipped......
asked him about airmail, and usps....never heard back yet...

Thanks for your replies....
now the waiting game:-)

soooo pumped about this purchase!!!!!!!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search