Emergency brake wire in in dash tv - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Emergency brake wire in in dash tv
Friday, August 11, 2006 6:57 PM
Alright guys, I need some help here. I read the manual for my in dash flip out and it says that the wire for the emergency brake light has to be connected to that light. Yeah, I'm not doing that in my cavy because it's pretty much impossible with out tearing the cluster appart. So what I'm wondering is how you guys that have these have connected them in your cavys/sunfires and also I would like to know that if I run a fused wire to a switched 12 volt source would it not do the same thing as the e-brake wire light? THanks a lot guys!!!

Re: Emergency brake wire in in dash tv
Friday, August 11, 2006 7:23 PM
im not sure what dash monitor u have but with mine i just grounded it they tell u to hook to the ebrake wire so u can only watch movies with the brake on
Friday, August 11, 2006 7:38 PM
Yeah I know that I have the Jensen VM9411 and I don't know. I'm thinking of just trying the ground and hoping it works. Would that mess up anything?

Friday, August 11, 2006 7:48 PM
check and make sure its not 12 hot it shouldnt be bust just check if its not then no i wont hurt to ground it to test it
Friday, August 11, 2006 7:55 PM
What do you mean like turn on the unit and hit it with a volt meter? And if I get nothing I'll be fine. And that's my problem that I need to just ground it?

Saturday, August 12, 2006 6:14 AM
yeah just check it with a meter if its not hot it wont hurt to ground it
Saturday, August 12, 2006 8:14 AM
Dude a search would have turned up this http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=4&i=127946&t=127736#127946 same question, same model.

I posted this, Unfortunettly he never posted again to tell us which one worked. However, one of these methods will.
Quote:

Ok well just so you know, its illegal in most states to have a Screen playing a movie, forward of the drivers seat while in motion....

Now a jensen, well most of them, dont have the extra security like the alpines and pioneer. You should just be able to ground it like to the ground behind your stereo.

However you can test this.

With the head unit out, touch the pink wire to ground with the car turned off. Now turn the car on while keeping the pink wire grounded. If it lets you watch a movie, theres you solution. Splice in and your set. If it still gives you the error. Start the car like normal AND THEN ground the pink wire. if it works then what you need is either a switch or a relay.

Whats happening, is upon startup the LCD unit is looking for ground. if it sees ground then it disables the DVD player. This to keep people from grounding the wire permenently. Putting a switch in between the wire and ground simply makes its so you can turn your car on with the pink wire open and then flip the switch to ground it. Contrary to what people above are saying, you dont have to flip the switch on and off to mimic the pulse of the e brake. All you do is start the car with the switch OFF, and then when the dvd unit boots up flip the switch to on so it grounds and your set.

I went the relay route. All I did was use my Remote Amp lead from the head unit.

Look up Relay diagrams on google if you dont know how to wire one
Ill try to make this simple. You have four plugs on a relay.

Hook your remote amp lead to Pin 86
Pin 85 to ground
pin 87 to ground
and Pin 30 to your Pink Wire

All relays have these numbers...well most..

Now whats happening is when your Stereo turns on it looks for ground and doesnt see anything so it see's it as the e brake off.
Then it finishes starting up and turns on your amp leads
That clicks on the relay and allows the pink wire to ground out making your dvd player think the ebrake is on.

Viola

Saturday, August 12, 2006 2:04 PM
Thanks a lot man. I'll be testing tomorrow!!

Saturday, August 12, 2006 8:13 PM
just ground it out so that u can watch it when you drive.... and you dont need the e-break on then it works for mine its awasome!

5 seconds to find another street...

Saturday, August 12, 2006 8:24 PM
Yeah that's what I want to do with it, Thanks for the help fella's/ladies (if any helped) I'll put this to use tomorrow when I have some light.

Sunday, August 13, 2006 1:51 PM
Alright, UPDATE!~!!! Grounding, did not work....If you ground it you'll get a picture on it and everything untill you turn off the car, then you have to reground it again. So I put a switch it in. Grounded the switch and VIOLA!! just get in the car turn on like normal, and then let the TV tuner or the DVD load and begin playing, wait for the sound, flip the switch and YOU GOT A PICTURE!! I love it a lot, and I thank everyone for thier help!!

Sunday, August 13, 2006 4:23 PM
Although the switch works great, i would have went the way of the relay. No switchs to worry about flipping and no having a switch laying around or mounting it..

Sunday, August 13, 2006 5:49 PM
Well I did the switch because I'm not sure of how to actually hook up a relay, I know you provided directions, I've just never done one. And the switch I used was already mounted.

Sunday, August 13, 2006 6:04 PM
Oh that works fine then...

Monday, August 14, 2006 4:07 PM
If you really want the e-brake wire... take out the centre console and tap the light blue wire right at the switch itself. No dash removal necessary!

Oh, and since you have an 05 (I'm assuming by your name)... then you can tap the light blue wire where it goes into the BCM, which is accessible under the dash on the driver's side of the firewall. I'll have to look up which connector (there's 3) and pin it is for ya tho... I'm at work right now

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 6:58 AM
Hey Rosario, if I use they relay? Will the screen be hooked up all the time? Like every time I turn on the car? No waiting for switches? Because if so then I'll use that. I'm getting tired of waiting for the switch thing. And where can I get the relay?

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 7:26 AM
Relay is super easy to hook up

Yes it will automaticly work for you

And you can get it at any auto parts store, Advanced, Comeplete auto, autozone.

As i explained, when you start the car it will be just like you ungrounded it and then regrounded it. Luckily, your CD player will boot and check for ground in its "POST" sequence, It doesnt turn on the Remote Amp Lead untill after its through "Booting up".

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 7:59 AM
Sweet so I'll never have to fiddle with the switch ever YAY! haha

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 5:01 AM
What size relay would I need? like what amp rating?

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 7:01 AM
30 should be fine...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search