Opinion on Amps under 200 bucks? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Opinion on Amps under 200 bucks?
Monday, October 18, 2010 12:32 AM
I have done all kinds of searching and have seen a lot of different opinions, but I was curious which amp under 200 shipped would be good for a 13w6v2? The sub is in a ported box and I am looking for an amp to power it, and not sure these days which amp would be best for my price range. I really do not want to go over the 200 dollar limit, that is pretty much top dollar as I have spent WAYYY too much money here lately.

I really only need 500w RMS, and I have 4 gauge wiring, and the sub will be at 2 ohms ( obviously ). I was looking at the following, but open to anything else.

The Maxxsonics stuff is because I can get a good deal on them from my Fiancée's Brother.. It seems cheap, but if it makes the power, then whatever..
Hifonics Brutus BXI1210D
Crunch Ground Pounder GPV2000.1

Or something that might be higher quality, but 200 total is my total limit.. I dont mind refurb or used as long as it works

I have heard a lot of mixed reviews about this, and I have not really had Hifonics equipment, honestly I have only had Alpine and JL ( 12" Type R, 2 8w7s, 12w7, and I had 2 12w0s when I was 16.... 1000/1, 500/1, V series 4ch., MRP-M500. and some other 500w Alpine with a digital cover ) So I really haven't had anything else, but a 500/1 is out of my price range, J2 series is poop from what I hear. So I am looking for some help on making a decision. Thanks

Re: Opinion on Amps under 200 bucks?
Monday, October 18, 2010 8:27 AM
In that price to get 500rms at 2ohms, maxx might be the best manufacturer. They aren't too efficient and are overated most of the time. Find soundstream on woofersetc.com and see if they got something. That's a tight budget man.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Monday, October 18, 2010 12:35 PM
Hey Thanks Dustin, I checked them out, and bargained with a local shop and I got this for 227.00, a little more than I wanted, but it was marked 400. It is a small shop that was struggling so they made me the deal.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p8872/PX11300D--Soundstream-1300W-RMS-Picasso-Series-Class-D-Monoblock-Amplifier.htm

I have it hooked up but to an old crappy MTX like Roadthunder I found and I hooked up just to test, the gain is like at 1/8th and everything else is down and headunit sub is at -7 ( the lowest it goes ) and it is still moving pretty good, sounds terrible, but I think that is just the sub, I cant really tune the amp or headunit till the box comes in for the 13W6

I hope it was a good pickup. Any thoughts?

Monday, October 18, 2010 4:16 PM
I have this amp Power Acoustik. Ive had very good luck with Power Acoustik, this amp would also have tons of headroom over your 500 W RMS needs. I have this amp powering my 12" Type R (in a sealed box) at 2 ohms and it sounds really good, it hits hard but at the same time it has good SQ. This is the only brand of amplifier I have in my car, I also have one of their two channel ones for my fronts. Just something else to look into.

Dave

Monday, October 18, 2010 7:53 PM
Power Acoustik is very overrated just FYI.

Monday, October 18, 2010 8:10 PM
Thanks for the input and recommendation, however, I picked up the P1.1300D Picasso from SoundStream today for 227 from a local dealer..( It was 319 at the cheapest online ) and came with full warranty.

Any input on that would be great though, It is very capable of pushing ( and destroying ) an old cheap sub I found laying around and hooked up to test it till the box gets here for the W6. I hope that the W6 and the amp play nice together for a long time, It is overbearing at the moment, but I have not tuned anything at all besides putting the sub level on the HU to -7.

I got a 4 gauge fuse holder and some 4 gauge wire today as well, since the battery is in the trunk, I can swap out the 8ga. in no time, clean up the wires and get the box installed this week when it comes in, I will get some pics when that is finished and give any impressions, its just a DD and I don't listen to rap often, so It should be plenty, just a matter of getting it dialed in for my tastes.

Monday, October 18, 2010 9:27 PM
i have a alpine mrp m500 that i bought for $210 at best buy.. ive seen them online for about $175 i love it it puts out 500 rms at 2 ohms sounds nice never oveheats on me and is a pretty small size so its easy to mount
Monday, October 18, 2010 9:37 PM
Yeah, thats what I posted in my original post, I had one and sold it with my last car, and I liked it but wanted something different, which I got and love it so far. I got the MRPm500 from Best buy for about 200 a couple years ago.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 6:08 AM
hifonics HFi1000D or kenwood 9105D or Kenwood 8104D/8105D. All can be found at onlinecarstereo.com
All of which have 500Wx1 @ 2ohm or more.
I can speak for the Kenwood being good amps, Ive o-scoped my 9104D at 964W clean at 2ohms. 1075W @ 1ohm.

"I did it because I wanted to see what it would look like. You should be greatful that I even told you that it would look good. If your to dumb to use photoshop and change the color of your own car then you don't need to see it changed. I'm not going to give my work away. I'll sell the pic to you though for $15."-Adam Kalin

^^JBO is about not being that guy
Wednesday, October 20, 2010 11:05 AM
Why does everyone keep responding. HE ALREADY BOUGHT AN AMP.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 9:57 AM
They're responding because this is a discussion on Opinions on Amps under 200 bucks, regardless is the OP already bought one.

***Brand New In the Box Pioneer GM-D8500M For Sale***

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 11:06 AM
Sure seemed like he asked for what he should buy. Not what everyone and their brother thought about cheap amps. But thats just me.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 2:10 PM
Why do you care? If you don't want to partake in this discussion, then don't enter this thread. Seems pretty simple. But that's just me.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 2:32 PM
What was your contribution to it besides bringing back a week old thread to call me out? Seems rather hypocritical on your part.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, October 27, 2010 2:34 PM

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 7:06 PM
I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest. I did call you out, I'll admit, but responses like yours on a public message board (a place where everyone can benefit) is asinine.

Frankly, I was going to suggest some things for other people (besides the OP) until I read your post. Then I got a bit deterred.

I'm new to this particular site, yes, but I'm certainly no stranger to the way message boards work. Anyone who may be in the same predicament as the OP can go back and read this thread and perhaps benefit from the information. For some reason you felt the need to cease all progression of this thread for no other reason than you were (appeared to be) getting irritated. Then you take a cheap shot by saying something like "Not what everyone and their brother thought about cheap amps".

What you call "cheap" is what I can "within one's budget". Perhaps you have unlimited funds to apply to your audio system in your car. Or maybe your priorities of a quality audio system are higher than those who would rather spend the money on performance, or appearance items. Regardless, your post was, by far, the least productive.

I.E. You have no right to come in here and suggest people stop posting in this thread.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 7:28 PM
Least productive? Probably not. Id consider people answering a question that has already been answered unproductive. No one searches here and the same question will come up again in a week. Then it will be re-answered. The audio forum is acutally quite friendly compared to the rest of the site. No one yells at anyone for not searching. We just gladly re-answer the same questions.

Me posting doesnt stop anyone else from posting. I have no power on this site. Feel free to to post your opinion.

Under $200 is a cheap amp. I assume you think when I say "cheap" I mean cheaply made. Not exactly. Soundstream and Alpine arent really low quality. $200 for one is cheap. I paid $200 for my speaker amp on sale. Great amp great quality but it was cheap. Im not attacking anyones budget. We all started somewhere. I went from running low quality awful Pyramid to competing in dBDrag with what I consider a great daily SPL system. I bought most of my gear on sale or on close-out to save cash.

I dont want to come off like an ass. Im not. 90% of the stuff I post is in fun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, October 27, 2010 7:47 PM

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 7:54 PM
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:Least productive? Probably not. Id consider people answering a question that has already been answered unproductive.
But the replies after the OP stated he bought an amp were not repetitive at all. They were other products that had yet to be mentioned.

Quote:

No one searches here and the same question will come up again in a week. Then it will be re-answered. The audio forum is acutally quite friendly compared to the rest of the site. No one yells at anyone for not searching. We just gladly re-answer the same questions.

You're making an assumption. The ones who don't ask the same questions over and over again are the ones using the search feature. But you'll never hear from them.

Quote:

Me posting doesnt stop anyone else from posting. I have no power on this site. Feel free to to post your opinion.

But you implied people should stop posting. Why? I agree. You have no power on this site, so don't imply you do.

Quote:

Under $200 is a cheap amp. I assume you think when I say "cheap" I mean cheaply made. Not exactly. Soundstream and Alpine arent really low quality. $200 for one is cheap. I paid $200 for my speaker amp on sale. Great amp great quality but it was cheap. Im not attacking anyones budget. We all started somewhere. I went from running low quality awful Pyramid to competing in dBDrag with what I consider a great daily SPL system. I bought most of my gear on sale or on close-out to save cash.

Perhaps I took that statement out of context. But again, the way I perceived that comment was based on your extensive enthusiasm for people to continue this discussion.
I gotta admit, I'm a bargain shopper. I've never bought anything less than the best for my car audio needs, unless it was for a vehicle I just simply wanted tunes in (like my '83 C10). But if it was going in a car I was going to spend a great deal of time in (commuting sucks with crappy audio) I never skimp.

I'll call a truce.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 7:58 PM
Like I said. Im not an ass. My original statement was more of joke than anything. I just dont like being called out.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 8:20 PM
I'm not an ass, either. I'm the hole in the middle.

Now, to actually ADD to this thread, I'd like people to look into the amp I recently purchased which I now have for sale in the classifieds (yes it's a free plug for myself).

The Pioneer GM-D8500M

It's 300 x 1 @ 4 ohms, 600 watts x 1 @ 2 ohms

I picked it up at Walmart a few months ago listed at $225.
It's a great amp. I actually bought 3 of them. One is now in my step-son's car, and I was going to put the other two in my car ('99 Olds Intrigue), but I recently had surgery and need the money. Walmart won't take it back because I don't have the original receipt. Therefore I was forced to sell them.

I've sold one, but still have one more I gotta unload.
Not implying that anyone should buy mine, but if anyone has the need for a great amp at an affordable price, check your local Walmart.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 10:53 PM
Wow, I didn't look at this thread in a while it I cant tell if its getting out of hand or not lol, but I can say I did search and always have, I have only asked for help on the forum a hand full of times, and was just looking for an opinion on something similar to what I already had. Two I wanted to find something that at 200 bucks was a good deal, not like retailing for 200 bucks. I have had a 1000/1, 500/1, MRP-m500, m1000, and several other higher end amps, I just was looking for something that was in that range of quality but at a cheaper price, maybe someone was selling one on here or something like that. I ended up getting an amp that was marked at 450, got the display for 220, so I found that to be the kind of deal I was looking for.

Also, this amp def. puts out the power, my head unit has only a 3v preout, and bass is at zero and sub woofer level is at -7, all bass boost is off the amp and HU, and gain is at about a 1/4... I swear the entire car shakes, and was actually in park and was making the needle jump on the boost gauge and having a huge voltage drop, so I have now turned it all down quite a bit. A single bass note and the rear view mirror shoots straight down, It was still very clean coming through the 13W6.. I recommend both to anyone. It was ridiculous if you like SPL. I am not a huge fan of that, and things are already shaking with the radio off now, so I am glad it can make that kind of power, but Definitely not needed since its used for music, but I am impressed.

Not Bragging or anything, I know many people have better SP and SPL each, but I am saying that this amp was a good buy, it works well with this sub in a ported box and I recommend the PX1.1300D to anyone. Here is a picture of my quiting for the night, still gotta zip tie and loom the wires, I did not have a lot of room due to the battery box in the trunk, the sub box had to go in with the backseat out and cleared with like 1/16th inch on both the height and BARELY fit between the angular pieces in the trunk.. so I really lucked out.

Friday, October 29, 2010 8:34 AM
Your happy, and that's all that matters since it's your car.

I don't know what's better... finding something you can afford and still live with, or finding a great deal like you did, even if it does put you slightly over budget.

Great find.

BTW, Good thing you got the cargo net . We wouldn't want the pewny little sub moving around back there.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search