Official GM Supercharger Pre 00 Information Sticky - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Official GM Supercharger Pre 00 Information Sticky
Thursday, March 09, 2006 2:40 PM
The GM Supercharger sticky is here! Please people read this before putting up another post in which there is already 100’s of.

Before I start with the information, If anyone would like to add their part please do so!
First of all, the gm s/c was designed by GM for 2000+ j-bodies…..Over the years many of us have installed this unit onto our Pre 99 cars.

What you will see below is the list and needed mods that I know of (To the best of my ability). Again if I leave anything out please put it in here. I am only putting this up to help people that can’t find their answers.

General installation time has been from 3.5 hours to 9 hours, depending on your speed and knowledge of what your doing.

If you are wanting to get part #’s for certain parts here is a link-

After clicking, wait for the little box at the bottom right so u can zoom in!

Spark plugs
1 step colder that come with the kit- Part# 05613717
2 step colder plugs that some(Including myself)are using-Part #5614285

Both plugs are AC Delco plugs in case anyone wonders.

Ok so you have a 1999 Cavalier/Sunfire and you want to buy a supercharger kit. Great, Now what do you need you ask? Well here’s a list of things………

1. You need the s/c kit obviously J

2. Most of the 1999 cars were equipped with high impedance(skinny) injectors, no egr, and already have the smaller 2000+ starter. Therefore your install is going to be easier than a pre 98 car.

3. The only things you will not be able to use in the kit is the 2 bar map sensor, and get the computer reflash. Just resell the map and you’ll make some money back J

4. Since the computer will not be able to read the boost(You wont have the reflash), You will need a afpr to adjust your base idle pressure because of the larger injectors, and some sort of fuel management (i.e.- Cartech fmu, emanage, etc)

5. Having some type of Wideband o2 sensor will help you in your tuning process also. This will aid in knowing if you are running rich/lean.

So you want to install the s/c kit on your 98 Pre Cavalier/Sunfire. Well here’s a list of things you will need to do/buy. Again if I have missed anything please add to this post.

Well now you guys have a little more work to do than the 1999 guys so here it is:

You will need to go buy:

1. Starter from a 2000+ car(Smaller starter)
2. Egr block off plate (Jake aka GreenZ would be able to help as far as egr goes)
3. Your injectors are LOW IMPEDANCE(Fat ones), therefore you CAN’T use the injectors that come with the supercharger kit. So you will either be able to use your stock injectors, or you can buy bigger ones from RC Engineering.
4. Along with the 99 cars, your computer will NOT be able to read boost, so you will need some “fuel tuning devices” such as:
a. FMU(To raise the fuel pressure as you get into boost)
b. AFPR (To adjust the base idle pressure if you buy bigger injectors)
c. Bigger injectors would be recommended(Some guys have been using stock injectors w/ an fmu and bigger fuel pump and have had no problems-(Jake/GreenZ)
d. I would also suggest upgrading your fuel pump to a Walbro 255lph pump.

5. I would also strongly recommend buying some type of wideband o2 so you can see exactly how rich/lean you are running since you will not be using the reflash.

6. Like the 99 guys, You will be able to resell the map sensor and injectors and make some money back.

Basically what I wanted to do here was give a “General” overview of what is needed and how to’s on this supercharger kit. Once again if anyone has anything to add PLEASE DO SO!

Car is for Sale!Supercharger kit is for sale!

Re: Official GM Supercharger Pre 00 Information Sticky
Thursday, March 09, 2006 4:50 PM
i love it

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 7:44 AM
here is my set up and i suggest others to follow it. (i am on the stock s/c pulley)
2k starter
stock injectors, fpr
cartech FMU
walbro 255 fuel pump
coolingmist.com water/meth injection (m4 injector)
ac delco # 41-602

for the egr i got the GM block off plate and just removed all of the EGR stuff.
I clear the check engine light each time i start my car with a code scanner. IT takes 30 seconds to do and my car runs like stock and gets like 30miles per gallon. With the EGR simulator hooked up, my car ran like crap and randomly stalled and hesitated alot. SO i just ditched that. sorta a pain, but the way the car runs it makes it worth the little bit of hassle.

need anything else answered just ask away

Re: Official GM Supercharger Pre 00 Information St
Wednesday, March 15, 2006 12:51 AM
AH! Finally someone got a thread like this to become sticky.

here is the link to my website with pictures and info of what I've done with my Cav with SC.

My Supercharger Mod page

Hope it helps some peeps.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 3:21 AM
Thanks guys for adding your info....I was beginning to wonder if anyone had seen this!

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 8:35 PM
There was a good link in this forum posted a while back that was similar to the link above but had a details of a 1999 2.4 installation of the gm supercharger. Anyone remember where that web page is? It would be a good fit for this thread. I wish I saved it myself.
Thursday, March 16, 2006 9:53 AM
Very good information...however I did it a little differently....

I have a supercharged 99 automatic

First off,
I had the correct starter (00+)
I didnt have an EGR
I had the high impedance(skinny) injectors already

However,
I am using the 2 bar map sensor, because im using a 2000+ automatic PCM with the reflash already installed onto the PCM.

Currently seeing 6psi of boost.

Portage, MI
Thursday, March 16, 2006 3:45 PM
^^ Hey mine is a 99 automatic also......Weren't you having problems using the 2k ecu? I thought I remembered you saying your rpm needle or speedo wouldnt work? Damn thats one thing I would really like to try for the heck of it.....

Friday, March 17, 2006 1:00 PM
Does this apply for any 3rd gen pre 00? and how much can u get all this stuff for roughly? the kit and other items like starter and injectors?
Friday, March 17, 2006 5:21 PM
Bobby(Blown&Pullied) wrote:^^ Hey mine is a 99 automatic also......Weren't you having problems using the 2k ecu? I thought I remembered you saying your rpm needle or speedo wouldnt work? Damn thats one thing I would really like to try for the heck of it.....

Yeah i do have a few problems, but nothing major...car runs.

The engine temp gauge dosent work
RPM gauge doesent work
Battery light is on
Low coolant light is on

Security light was on, but with the Tech2 we were able to take it off.

Portage, MI
Sunday, March 19, 2006 2:29 PM
So i take it that this system is for the 2.4 L motor. does antone know of a supercharger kit for the 2.2 ecotec motor i just bought my 2003 LS off my sister and i dont want to turbo but charging it would be awsome hit me back with more info please

Sunday, March 19, 2006 7:27 PM
ruen did you get a bcm from the 00+ to go along with your pcm, and is the 00+pcm plug and play with the 99
Monday, March 20, 2006 8:28 AM
Darren-this post is related to the pre 2000 year cars(if you didnt catch the topic heading), please keep ?'s like that else where.

thanks.

Monday, March 20, 2006 5:45 PM
I would like to add for us 1998 and lower guys I would say a Cartech FMU or other is almost 100% necessary. The problem with just running bigger injectors and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator is that you do not get added fuel while in full boost. I made this mistake and leaned it out and spun a bearing.

I was running GM SC, 320 cc RC injectors and the LT1 AFPR.

Also the Starter is 89.99 plus core at autozone and you do need it.

A few things you can make if you buy a second hand kit thats missin things are...

Cruise bracket, can be made easily and you dont have to pay extra for it if your missing it. Email me for more details.

Brake booster line, you can modify your stock one and it will work fine, just need a little cutting.

Like everyone else said, just sell the 2 bar censor to a turbo guy or something.

Make sure everyone checks their plugs and get some kind of fuel compensation for boost!

You will injoy this mod, I would say its worth every penny.

http://members.cardomain.com/vertz24 1998 Z24 Convertible
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 12:27 PM
Whitez wrote:ruen did you get a bcm from the 00+ to go along with your pcm, and is the 00+pcm plug and play with the 99

I dont have the BCM from a 00+

From what i understand, its all plug and play...dont quote me on that though

Portage, MI
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 2:11 PM
Does anyone have a .pdf of the installation instructions for the kit? or maybe someone could scan them in? is there any posts with a step by step how-to? that would be a useful link for this thread. Just seems like there are a lot of parts in the kit... it would be nice to know where they all go... thanks,
Matt
Wednesday, March 22, 2006 6:25 AM
the kit comes with directions when you purchase it.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 5:49 AM
would getting a 99 ECU be worth it for us 96-98 guys, or would the new HP Tuners kit be better later down the road?

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 9:02 AM
97-98 you can re wire it to a 99 ecu fairly easy(search).

96(like me) would have to cut off the 96 harness and re pin it to a 99, get a99 computer(or a 97/98 and flash it with a VIN from 99 5 spd) and use the HP software(currently contemplating going that route).

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 10:20 AM
that makes things sound good, i wouldnt mind paying for a flash (providing i can get a VIN), and using HP tuners that way. That would mean no EGR codes, and the skinny injectors (high impedence).

Friday, May 12, 2006 7:55 AM
where do i buy a supercharger?

Saturday, May 13, 2006 5:27 AM
supercavvy wrote:where do i buy a supercharger?

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com and http://wwww.paceperformance.com as well as the dealerships

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Saturday, May 13, 2006 4:13 PM
um tim the paceperformance site isnt working
Sunday, May 14, 2006 6:24 AM
wacksunfire wrote:um tim the paceperformance site isnt working

thats true. because there is too many W's in the www. part of the websites address.

i just copied and pasted that from the FAQ made by shifted that says Read before posting. i guess supercavy didnt see that part

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Monday, September 04, 2006 7:22 PM
mm.. so is it safe to say if you were s/cing a 99 cavy and had hpt and then use bigger injector, you wouldn't need an AFPR?

Nate

Evolution of Cavyboy-->C22t--> C24na--->c24s/c
1995 Cavalier W/2k1 Engine
GM S/C 13.940@99.78pmh w/2.068 60ft
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search