Vulcan Turbo's M62 manifold for the 2.4 - Page 7 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Vulcan Turbo's M62 manifold for the 2.4
Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:27 PM
Wade Jarvis wrote:If anyone would like to stop by the Vulcan Turbo and see this in person that is fine with me. You will need contact Brian to set up a time though.

Stopped up there last week with Taetsch. Was good to see you again Brian.

The manifold is looking pretty good, I skipped all the pages here, just seen the "teaser" pics on the first or second page, but seen the manifold first hand. Also seen the front mount setup, looks pretty impressive.

I've always been a turbo guy (ever since getting hosed on 2 S/C kits back in the day), but this setup looks promising.

Wade, your car was still there, not pieced out and sold Although I almost stole your M45 for my daily driver

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:27 PM
s1lver_N1p wrote:how are you intercooling a supercharger?

Mount the supercharger lower, or higher that the intake manifold (like where the AC would be) charger pushes the air to the intercooler, from the intercooler to the intake manifold.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:47 PM
Good @!#$. That was my original plan, to make an outlet plenum for the supercharger that charge piping could be attached to, however I deemed there just was not enough room at all if mounting it so it looks the "normal" way like the Ecotec has it.

Realize that if the throttle body is still mounted pre-supercharger, if one of those silicone connections blows, you're going to have a HUGE vacuum leak on your hands. You guys are probably mounting the throttle body to the intake manifold though, in which case you could likely use a blow-off-valve even.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:05 PM
no point in a blow off valve since the chargers has a bypass valve built in. and wouldn't any car with a intercooler have a vacum leak if a coupler came loose?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2623318

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:54 PM
My question is why cool the air twice. If the heat exchanger works like it should it will bring temps down around outside air temp. Putting an intercooler on will give you little benefit, but you will loose psi with all the piping. Also where is your air to water inteercooler? Infront of the inercooler? Looks good though.

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:58 PM
OEM wrote:My question is why cool the air twice. If the heat exchanger works like it should it will bring temps down around outside air temp. Putting an intercooler on will give you little benefit, but you will loose psi with all the piping. Also where is your air to water inteercooler? Infront of the inercooler? Looks good though.

I do not think they are running a He, just a intercooler. I could be wrong.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:17 PM
no john your correct. As stated previously they are trying a different route since they couldnt get the temps to where they liked them with the water to air if i remember correctly. ( not sure why it was changed IMO ) but im not making it so its their baby. If air to air works better then sweet deal

"It's called reading! Top to bottom, left to right... a group of words together is called a sentence. Take Tylenol for any headaches... Midol for any cramps."
Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:19 PM
jared methe wrote:no point in a blow off valve since the chargers has a bypass valve built in. and wouldn't any car with a intercooler have a vacum leak if a coupler came loose?

If the supercharger was pre-throttle body, there's still boost that can be let off by a blow off valve that isn't instantly covered by the internal bypass.

And no... because on turbocharged cars the piping is before the throttle body. Vacuum leaks occur past the throttle plate.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:29 PM
i will draw up a diagram to show u guys how this system will work...brb

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:49 PM

uses the blowers factory bypass system so sorry buys, there wont be a BOV involved....the throttle body will be located on the blower like it normally would

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:50 PM
bypass butterfly is closed during WOT, so the air does not go back into the blower, the butterfly is open during non WOT conditions to prevent boost from building up in the manifold...

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:51 PM
How the heck are you fitting it in there?

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:56 PM
[ion wrote: C2]How the heck are you fitting it in there?

this is a full set up,
-blower outlet,
-hot pipe,
-intercooler,
-cold pipe,
-and customer intake manifold to allow it all to work

not using the stock or quad manifold

the regualar setupalone will consist of the blower outlet, and the intake manifold, that way u can run w/e piping and intercooler u want..im sure prices will change from what is listed on the site, those who have already paid, or who hae put in down payments, their cost will be honored...

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 6:07 PM
cody akers wrote:no john your correct. As stated previously they are trying a different route since they couldnt get the temps to where they liked them with the water to air if i remember correctly. ( not sure why it was changed IMO ) but im not making it so its their baby. If air to air works better then sweet deal

Wade Jarvis wrote:
OEM wrote:I thought you guys were driving the car around? Testing it out? Has the car been turned on yet.

What gave you the idea that somone has been driving the car around? lol This is no rush job. We will take however much time is needed to make sure we get it done right the first time.

I guess I am really confused now.

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:24 PM
looks very sweet indeed. cant wait for it.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:59 PM
there is a AIR to AIR kit similar to that in australia for the 3800s/c in the holdens

the 3.8 s/c t-birds used a similar set up

this would explain why this kit is alot of $$$$

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:02 PM
price actually got better with an air to air over the air to water.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:38 PM
OEM wrote:
cody akers wrote:no john your correct. As stated previously they are trying a different route since they couldnt get the temps to where they liked them with the water to air if i remember correctly. ( not sure why it was changed IMO ) but im not making it so its their baby. If air to air works better then sweet deal

Wade Jarvis wrote:
OEM wrote:I thought you guys were driving the car around? Testing it out? Has the car been turned on yet.

What gave you the idea that somone has been driving the car around? lol This is no rush job. We will take however much time is needed to make sure we get it done right the first time.

I guess I am really confused now.

The car has not been driven since it got to the shop. I am not sure how Cody Akers became mis-informed. Test fitting, mock up, and gathering of parts for a H/E setup has been done. There were still a few concerns so Brian decided to give this route a shot and just see what he thinks will be the better way. He thinks this way might be cheaper. Nothing is set in stone yet, not the way it will be cooled or the price.

Brian has a scanner he can monitor IAT's with that before the design is final. Coolng the air charge effectivly is a top priority with this project.
In the end I have HP Tuners and will be doing some extensive logging to see what IAT's are during different situations. Brian has a scanner he can monitor IAT's with

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:43 PM
jared methe wrote:price actually got better with an air to air over the air to water.

True around 400 bucks cheaper. It is still too early to really be discussing the final price. I know Brian was going to be lowering the price posted on the Vulcan Turbo site. Not sure by how much. However he ran into technical difficulty and was unable to get that done before he left for vacation

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:45 PM
either way the intake air temp will be kept nice and cool.

Thursday, August 27, 2009 9:20 AM
From the begining i remeber Vulcan saying they wanted to produce both setups, one with He and one with a front mount.

Thursday, August 27, 2009 9:22 AM
yeah price is not definant, being a vulcan dealer...my cost will probably be cheaper than MSRP

Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:40 PM
Zs Z wrote:From the begining i remeber Vulcan saying they wanted to produce both setups, one with He and one with a front mount.

I dont recall this at all. I recall there being a plan to do an version that was cooled with either a front mount or a H/E and one that was not cooled in any way.

Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:50 PM
ok wade my bad. from my understanding i thought they couldnt get the temps how they wanted and so they were trying this setup from my knowledge...but hey thanks for the correction!

"It's called reading! Top to bottom, left to right... a group of words together is called a sentence. Take Tylenol for any headaches... Midol for any cramps."
Thursday, August 27, 2009 3:42 PM
cody akers wrote:ok wade my bad. from my understanding i thought they couldnt get the temps how they wanted and so they were trying this setup from my knowledge...but hey thanks for the correction!

yeah that was going to be the issue,...it was a known issue once he was half way thru the h/e set up...so he opted out of it before more money was spent on it, and decided to go air/air

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search