Lnf turbo swap on l61...build - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Lnf turbo swap on l61...build
Saturday, March 05, 2011 3:13 PM
Well since it supposedly happened, yet thers no proof, i decided to embark on the journey.

I have the manifold and turbo off a HHR ss, and here is the progress. Its by no means done, still waiting on some new parts.

It doesnt straight bolt up like the saab setups, the waterpump pipe gets in the way as well as the thermostat housing that will need to
be changed out with those of a hhr turbo or cobalt ss turbo.I took the pip off to attach the manifold but you can see the clearence here with the stock waterpump housing.

as for the downpipe, the 90 degree bend look like it will clear, maybe it might hit the brake booster but we will see.My elbow will be here wed or thurday here is a top down shot

as for the oil lines, the oil return is the same style as the ssab setup was. just drill a hold in the block, and slide the tube in, as for the oil feed, the hole used on the lnf's is blocked by our thermostat housing. but with a housing swap it should work.

thats it for today

Re: Lnf turbo swap on l61...build
Saturday, March 05, 2011 7:40 PM
Subscribed for boost

Sunday, March 06, 2011 6:06 AM
so........just to be different?

Sunday, March 06, 2011 2:53 PM
Intresting.... your going ahead with it. Are you going to run the coolant lines too? I am curios how your setup will be. I am also thinking of this swap. So far i have the turbo and manifold. I will be checking your progress to see how everything goes. Please post everything you find so i can go off of your build.
Sunday, March 06, 2011 6:04 PM
I have less then $150 in this setup and i miss the sound of a turbo. ive had 2 different turbo kits a custom and a saab(helped barndonson with the first one) and ive had a gm supercharger twice, and i missed the turbo the most, and wanted to be different.

as for a lil progress, drilled the oil return today, didnt have to remove the pan, used an air hose to blow out the shavings while i was drilling, i drilled the main hole first, to make sure the oil return fit, then drilled the rest of the way into the pan a lil at a time, and im happy to say no shavings in the pan lol....... Also completely remove the thermostat housing.

now the oil feed ports,(^^^^top 2 allens in the pic ^^^^^^) what size allen will fit in there? its a size between 7/16 and 1/4 sae and between 6 and 7 mm. its really close to torx 40 but i didnt wanna strip it out.

Sunday, March 06, 2011 7:13 PM
What size drill bits did you use for the return hole?
Thursday, March 10, 2011 6:16 AM
Both oil lines attached, both factory, down pipe fits and clears the firewall and brake booster. CObalt thermostat housing on and new cobalt ss coolant tube is also on.

may need to bend the 2nd heater hose a tad, about a 1/2 clearence.

as for the hole in the block, its a hair bigger then 3/4". The 3/4" allows the tube to go in w/out the o-ring but not with it, so it needs to be a hair bigger.
and the allen head? well never found the size, so an air hammer made quick work of getting it out.

just waitin on charge pipes now, should be a week or two, and finishing the downpipe to the exhaust.

Friday, March 11, 2011 4:29 PM
Can't wait to see this running. The fit looks so good

ʇı ɹǝʍo7 | ǝcoMonstǝrs

Saturday, March 12, 2011 5:12 PM
Everything fits perfect!
Saturday, March 19, 2011 8:02 PM

my lil update is the factory intercooler doesnt clear the j-body core support. without some cutting of the inpact bar and the side supports

the factory charge pipes clear the hood by a cunt hair, you can see they route good i the pics but they do rub the hood when closed. im gonna fab up something different though and make the engine bay a lil cleaner, and run the setup a lil more like yours elecblue

thats all for today, downpipe should be here @ the end of the week

Sunday, March 20, 2011 5:52 PM
Only 150 bux. Into the build. Not bad sir

"It's called reading! Top to bottom, left to right... a group of words together is called a sentence. Take Tylenol for any headaches... Midol for any cramps."

Sunday, March 20, 2011 6:12 PM
Looks good I'm envious of you guys who can do this kind of work...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, March 20, 2011 8:20 PM

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 10:39 AM
Very nice, im a fan

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Saturday, March 26, 2011 8:16 PM
Do you have any pictures of the intercooler installed?
Saturday, March 26, 2011 8:32 PM
Awesome!!

Parting out and for sale. | Thanks JBO!

Saturday, March 26, 2011 9:00 PM
Good job sir!!!

GMR has got nothing on this
Sunday, March 27, 2011 5:31 AM
Nice work in stepping up to actually do this install. Especially in utilizing as many of the factory components as possible. With the LNF aftermarket maturing, these things are becoming easier to find for cheap.

Mind if i ask you power goals? After seeing the K04 beaten to death on the LNF, i can't imagine running it north of 300 hp on the L61. We lack cam phasing, direct injection (which is a big efficiency hit), plus we have higher static c/r and 10% more displacement. It's going to build boost super early and produce a ton of torque and depending on the boost you plan to run will likely be spent >6000 rpm.

Monday, March 28, 2011 7:00 AM
i dont have any pics of the intercooler, as it doesnt fit.....our core support. you need to remove 2" on each side then reinforce the part you cut out.

oldskool.....i dont have any power goals, i just wanna drive it for fun around 250is hp if its even feasible. only lookin to 10-12 psi wanna fun lil car to drive around. I just wanna make it get up and go if need be, its a weekend car, well more of a summer car.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 5:58 AM
Ah that's cool. I think the LNF runs anywhere from 10-15 psi to maintain its adverised 260/260 hp/trq. 10-12 should get you close to 250 crank hp, and the boost response should be great. I'm actually eager to see how this ends up. Plans to dyno?

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:59 AM
22 psi on our 09 cobalt ss with a superchips cortex made 310 hp 300 lb/ft only tuner and a hahn intake.... was the lnf coolant housing a direct bolt on or were mods needed? it looks like it gives a whole lotta room...
Tuesday, March 29, 2011 8:32 AM
im eager too, the charge piping kit should be here today and hopefully i can get it all fabbed up and welded this weekend. As for dyno i would love to get it done, but i live in BFE and it would be a 2 hour haul to get er done.\

I didnt use a lnf coolant housing, i decided on a cobalt 2.2 thermo housing as its was available on a core. Its the exact same though minus the ports for the turbo cooler wheich will get done eventually.
only modification i had to do is get a longer radiator hose.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 12:58 PM
Anymore updates? I know it's only been a day LOL

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:10 PM
i got my charge pipes in the mail yesterday, not gonna do much till saturday, but am gonna cut pipes to fit, use t-bolts to hold it until i get fitment the way i want, then borrow my dads welder and weld the aluminum all up so i will only need 4 couplers......turbo to pipe,,,pipe to intercooler x2 and pipe to t/b and im using an old aluminum cobra head type for the t/b.

i have my 42lb injectors came in the mail yesterday......and im waitin for a 135 degree elbow that i proally wont get till monday of next week. then it should run and drive around the block, then off to the exhaust shop to fab up the rest of the downpipe and connect it to the exhaust. The cobalt ss downpipe doesnt fit due to our cradle, firewall and steering rack. So i had to cut off the flange and flex pipe and thats all thats on there.

and i need to buy some metal strap to secure the intercooler and a lil tiddying up.

Saturday, April 02, 2011 1:47 PM

Saturday, April 02, 2011 1:52 PM

Got the charge piping done for the most part, done for today, injectors tomorrow and maybe a test fire, still need to make a downpipe though and weld all my connections

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search