small turbo - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
small turbo
Sunday, June 09, 2013 9:42 AM
OK so wanting to try a new turbo. I have a small turbo I got from a friend. Everything about it is unknown. It is small. What is the pros/cons of a small turbo?

whitey

Re: small turbo
Sunday, June 09, 2013 3:25 PM
Generally, a small turbo will spool quickly which could be fun for a street car when you just want a little fun without massive power. So that's the con or trade off...you won't make or have the potential to make big hp/tq. Any way to look up a serial number or something on the one you have?

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Sunday, June 09, 2013 4:34 PM
it came off of a 3 liter diesel. Borg Warner S1B 032. Like I said, its small

whitey
Sunday, June 09, 2013 6:56 PM
advantage: instantly spools.
disadvantage: runs out of power instantly.

Monday, June 10, 2013 6:32 AM
Would it be decent for street? Not out to make a lot of power. Just play

whitey
Monday, June 10, 2013 8:48 AM
Why don't you do this:

- Find out EXACTLY what turbo it is.
- Go on the internet and read up on the exact turbo and its specs
- Find the turbo's compressor map
- Learn how to read a compressor map
- Do the required math necessary to plot your engine against the map
- Come to a conclusion

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Monday, June 10, 2013 10:00 AM
Kids these days, want everything on a silver platter.

Hey doooods! I have a smaller unknown turbo my buddy gave me that he got (stole) off a 3.0 diesel motor. I know nothing about anything, but if I bolt this bad boy up to my motor, keep in mind its small (I won't say how small but much smaller than the big turbos I see pictures of on the internet in which I am now using for a size reference) will it still work on my car (I also won't tell you what motor I have, or what my goals are for the motor or the car in general, I just wanna know if it will "work" so I can tell the haters on the street my car is turbo'd).

Oh, btw....since I'm clueless, what are the pros/cons of a small turbo? (again, not sure what the size really is, but smaller than the pictures of turbos I see on the interwebs.)

Kkk thanks guys! Boost for life!

- Josh

Monday, June 10, 2013 12:15 PM
It's actually a turbo for a john deere
(seriously)

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, June 10, 2013 1:50 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:It's actually a turbo for a john deere
(seriously)

Haha, it is...

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Monday, June 10, 2013 10:35 PM
She thinks my tractor's sexy?

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 5:20 AM
Y3llowCav wrote:It's actually a turbo for a john deere
(seriously)

You clearly don't know anything about Borg Warners on Diesels. I found a brand new take off Borg Warner s200sx with ETT off of a John Deere for $100. You'll never find a BB (or journal bearing for that matter) Garrett for anywhere close to something like that brand new. The problem with this one in particular is it's a S1B. These are indeed very small. They range anywhere from a 34mm to 43mm, compressor and the turbine A/R's are anywhere from .35 to .81. Without knowing exactly what he has there's really no way of helping him.

There is one iteration of this turbo with a 43mm compressor wheel and either a 0.61 A/R housing (P/N 313297) or 0.81 A/R housing (P/N 313798). This should make for a nice quick spool turbo making 250+whp.

All I can suggest is measure the compressor wheel diameter and if it's anything smaller than 43mm, I wouldn't bother.

I have no signiture

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 7:29 AM
Thank you. You actually help unlike some others.

whitey
Tuesday, June 11, 2013 7:34 AM
Josh, you ask to be spoon-fed information while cluelessly giving very little for people to go off of to help you. You are lucky that one person actually knows that line of turbo's intimately.

"I have a small turbo I got from a friend. Will it work from my car?"

That's akin to saying "I got a tiny pair of pants from a friend, really small. Do you think they'll look good on me?"

When you ask a poorly worded question with little to no information to help others answer then the responses you got is what you are going to get. Grow up.

Whalesac - I've been a big supporter of Borgs out of other stock engines - they are stout as heck. I love mine, though it's not a ball bearing center I do love the 360 degree thrust plate and heavy duty shaft.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Tuesday, June 11, 2013 8:27 AM
A supercharger is basically a small turbo....and if a small turbo is made of wood, it must weigh the same as a duck, then its a witch! Small turbos are witches. Witches fly on brooms, which are also made of wood. Basically you see where this is going.... the answer is yes, the turbo will work since its also a witch!

What can you take away from this?
the "pro" here being that the turbo will float since witches float
the "con" is that witches get burned at the stake...so yeah...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, June 11, 2013 8:28 AM

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Tuesday, June 11, 2013 5:43 PM
SweetnessGT wrote:Josh, you ask to be spoon-fed information while cluelessly giving very little for people to go off of to help you. You are lucky that one person actually knows that line of turbo's intimately.

That's akin to saying "I got a tiny pair of pants from a friend, really small. Do you think they'll look good on me?"

When you ask a poorly worded question with little to no information to help others answer then the responses you got is what you are going to get. Grow up.

Whalesac - I've been a big supporter of Borgs out of other stock engines - they are stout as heck. I love mine, though it's not a ball bearing center I do love the 360 degree thrust plate and heavy duty shaft.

-Chris-

.....heh.....

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 7:55 AM
Thrice . wrote:
SweetnessGT wrote:Josh, you ask to be spoon-fed information while cluelessly giving very little for people to go off of to help you. You are lucky that one person actually knows that line of turbo's intimately.

-Chris-

.....heh.....

You dirty old man.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search