Tapping katech adapter for meth - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tapping katech adapter for meth
Tuesday, August 27, 2013 10:32 AM
Has anyone done it? I'm starting to have my doubts that it's thick enough to take a 1/8 NPT tap. When I get home I need to measure. Does anyone know off hand what the dimensions are for it?

"In Oldskool we trust"

Re: Tapping katech adapter for meth
Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:06 AM
i dont know anything about that but im assuming its between the tb and sc, yes?

what kit did you end up going with? does it come with a check valve?

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:06 AM
If they are the same thickness as when I sold them...yes it will fit fine. Still kind of pissed Katech started selling them. Since I did all the legwork.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:38 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:i dont know anything about that but im assuming its between the tb and sc, yes?

what kit did you end up going with? does it come with a check valve?

Yes directly after the tb. I have a snow performance kit I got used from someone local. I gotta say for the price they charge new I'm really not impressed with the quality. Should I need new parts I'll definitely be going somewhere else. It has an electronic solenoid to prevent siphoning. Still haven't figured out the best way to mount that yet.

-MD- Enforcer wrote:If they are the same thickness as when I sold them...yes it will fit fine. Still kind of pissed Katech started selling them. Since I did all the legwork.

Did not know that! What came with the original GM kits? I thought it was the katech?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:41 AM
what do you mean as far as quality its down? i guess i dont understand what you mean.

i mounted my solenoid before the pump. be careful you keep your tank clean though, mine malfunctioned due to debris and i had to have it replaced.

as a side note, a nitrous fuel solenoid works great.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:49 AM
I mean the boost switch is more fragile than Egypt's government, I bought a 2.5 gallon tank and the straps aren't even long enough to reach all the way around it, and the nozzle setup is bulky and ugly.

Since I'm mounting mine in the trunk I'm worried that it would empty the whole line out if I put the solenoid back there. Here's what's in the trunk:

As you can see, the "super nice" tank setup doesn't even have the nipple coming off a low as possible. The fact that the pump inlet is higher than the tank outlet also sucks but that's kind of my fault for the installation method. Now I have to keep it over 1/4 tank full at all times.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, August 27, 2013 12:12 PM
MD.. Curious to know the answer to this as well.... I know a few guys over there... so you mean you made it and Gm Performance stole the idea from you when writing the build books?!?!?!?!?

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 1:13 PM
I'm not 100% sure who made them for the GM kit originally. Katech did how ever supply them to GM at one time.

I found the GM drawings and sent them to Jason Harding at Katech in Aug. of 08'. He gave me a quote in Nov. of 09', after Katech "had the drawings". He said they could make it, and have made some in the past, but were not 100% the same.
Quote:

Michael,

It looks correct according to the drawing. There is no GM part number on the drawing though. One thing I noticed is that Katech did not fit the tube, we only machined the bore and counter bore for it. GM must have done that after they received parts from us. Do you want us to make and fit the tube? That wasn't in the original quote. Also, do you need us to supply the o-ring?

Jason Harding

I received my first batch in Mar. 10'.

Katech wouldn't make them unless I ordered X number at Y cost. I had to find all the people and pay upfront to get them made. Later in Aug. of 11' they started making them, and selling them on their website. They sold them for less than I could buy them for.

I never said I made them for GM Performance, and they stole the idea. I do understand how you read it your way, though. I did how ever find the original GM drawings and give them to Katech. I was shrugged off after they started making and selling them on their website. I do not have hard feelings towards Jason, but it was kind of a slap in the face when they started to sell them. I have posted about this on these forums. From the start...after GM discontinued the kits.

Added:
In my opinion. I did the leg work. I found the drawing, and got the community interested to buy some. If I didn't do this, people would still be making their own, and Katech wouldn't even known there was a demand for them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, August 27, 2013 1:19 PM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Tuesday, August 27, 2013 1:46 PM
Ive been debating this myself. I had the Katech adapter for the L61>M62, but I now run the CBM adapter for the LS1>M62. Same boat.
If I mess it up though bye bye adapter and over $100 for a new one!

But a drill press should do it easy. I still need to get mine done, havent even started mocking up the install

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Tuesday, August 27, 2013 4:55 PM
ill admitt it, i am not a fan of snow's nozzles either. if you use the thread sealant they provide on the inside with the injector insert get ready to destroy it trying remove it cuz thats what i did to my 575cc nozzle. next time i didnt use that crap and it never leaked so yeah. i also had to grip the nozzle body so much that it obblonged the swinging piece and made it harder to move around.

check out bosphorus innovations on ebay. i bought a nozzle through them when i was starting to piece together my second water only system. wow is that thing nice. the injector just threads onto the end, making size changes a freaking BREEZE. much nicer quality IMO as well.

on the boost switch i honestly dont know. i never had one problem with mine and felt it was pretty nice, actually. it adjusted easily and never failed, so....

but man as far as your tank is concerned are you sure its not supposed to be mounted on the side of something and the straps are supposed to wrap around it differently? to me it looks like thats the way it should be. mounted the same way you have only say strapped to the back seat inside of down onto that piece you have on the floor.

is your kit an older one? my pump looks way different compared to yours. the tank i got with mine is also much smaller and has tabs on its sides for mounting. i never used it though, just used my stock washer fluid reservor.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 7:42 PM
The pump inlet being higher than the tank outlet is not a issue. Mine has been this way for years with no issues. My pump is higher than my complete tank.

FU Tuning

Thursday, August 29, 2013 7:54 AM
I'm pretty sure mine is a katech which hopefully means that where ever it came from, it has enough meat to tap an 1/8 NPT hole in it. I have a drill press/late/mill machine so I'm sure I'll be able to get it right.

-Z Yaaaa- wrote:ill admitt it, i am not a fan of snow's nozzles either. if you use the thread sealant they provide on the inside with the injector insert get ready to destroy it trying remove it cuz thats what i did to my 575cc nozzle. next time i didnt use that crap and it never leaked so yeah. i also had to grip the nozzle body so much that it obblonged the swinging piece and made it harder to move around.

check out bosphorus innovations on ebay. i bought a nozzle through them when i was starting to piece together my second water only system. wow is that thing nice. the injector just threads onto the end, making size changes a freaking BREEZE. much nicer quality IMO as well.

on the boost switch i honestly dont know. i never had one problem with mine and felt it was pretty nice, actually. it adjusted easily and never failed, so....

but man as far as your tank is concerned are you sure its not supposed to be mounted on the side of something and the straps are supposed to wrap around it differently? to me it looks like thats the way it should be. mounted the same way you have only say strapped to the back seat inside of down onto that piece you have on the floor.

is your kit an older one? my pump looks way different compared to yours. the tank i got with mine is also much smaller and has tabs on its sides for mounting. i never used it though, just used my stock washer fluid reservor.

This is the stuff I wish I would have known! Oh well next time I guess. I paid 200 bucks for the kit so I'm not devastated. I didn't use their sealant on the nozzle, I may use a TINY dab of regular liquid pipe sealant but it seems unnecessary. I tried EVERY possible combination with this stupid tank. The way it's set up now is how the picture shows it in the "instructions;" the straps leave even more to be desired if you try to go the way you described.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, September 04, 2013 1:32 PM
If it is Katech.......it will have a P/N engraved into it.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, September 04, 2013 2:30 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:I'm not 100% sure who made them for the GM kit originally. Katech did how ever supply them to GM at one time.

I found the GM drawings and sent them to Jason Harding at Katech in Aug. of 08'. He gave me a quote in Nov. of 09', after Katech "had the drawings". He said they could make it, and have made some in the past, but were not 100% the same.
Quote:

Michael,

It looks correct according to the drawing. There is no GM part number on the drawing though. One thing I noticed is that Katech did not fit the tube, we only machined the bore and counter bore for it. GM must have done that after they received parts from us. Do you want us to make and fit the tube? That wasn't in the original quote. Also, do you need us to supply the o-ring?

Jason Harding

I received my first batch in Mar. 10'.

Katech wouldn't make them unless I ordered X number at Y cost. I had to find all the people and pay upfront to get them made. Later in Aug. of 11' they started making them, and selling them on their website. They sold them for less than I could buy them for.

I never said I made them for GM Performance, and they stole the idea. I do understand how you read it your way, though. I did how ever find the original GM drawings and give them to Katech. I was shrugged off after they started making and selling them on their website. I do not have hard feelings towards Jason, but it was kind of a slap in the face when they started to sell them. I have posted about this on these forums. From the start...after GM discontinued the kits.

Added:
In my opinion. I did the leg work. I found the drawing, and got the community interested to buy some. If I didn't do this, people would still be making their own, and Katech wouldn't even known there was a demand for them.

That was partly my fault. I wanted one and I just emailed Jason Harding at Katech about the situation. He said he would be fine bringing them back and doing a limited run. Not sure why they didn't just start selling them on the website after you contacted them the first time. They had their name stamped on the original part in the kit if I remember correctly?
-Jason
Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:14 AM
All the ones I had made...had their stamp on it. None of the original GM one did.

I had two GM original ones for a while, and neither had their name on it.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search