LSJ heat exchanger - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LSJ heat exchanger
Thursday, November 28, 2013 8:36 PM
Hey guys, I've tried to search around and had no luck, Just wanna find out if the lsj heat exchanger will fit in a 04 cavalier ls

Re: LSJ heat exchanger
Thursday, November 28, 2013 11:27 PM
There are no pre fabed h/e's for our cars you will have to make your own brackets. The cobra h/e works well. As well as many ebay specials, zzp etc etc.

Friday, November 29, 2013 6:29 AM
so in theory the lsj h/e can work if i make brackets for it?
Friday, November 29, 2013 7:04 AM
I dont know why you would want to use it. ZZP's S3 is ALOT more efficient, easier to mount, and looks better.

Friday, November 29, 2013 3:32 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:I dont know why you would want to use it. ZZP's S3 is ALOT more efficient, easier to mount, and looks better.

and is on sale for 30% off right now
unless you were luck like me and go it at 50%off last night

Friday, November 29, 2013 5:03 PM
I dont believe the stock lsj heat exchanger will fit.
Sunday, December 08, 2013 7:33 AM
Philly D wrote:I dont believe the stock lsj heat exchanger will fit.

This. We don't have quite as much room up front as a delta.

I'd just get a ZZP S3 and call it a day. It's cheap, efficient, and easy install. I mine, I just bent the outer brackets a bit to fit, and made to straps for under the bottom.

Sunday, December 08, 2013 1:34 PM
Since we are on the topic of heat exchangers, I have a question.

Ever since installing the ZZP Heat exchanger, I've noticed the engine runs hot when I've either been idling for a prolonged period of time or when I drive below 30mph after a long trip (example, 45 minutes on the highway followed by searching for a parking spot). When I say "runs hot" I mean to the point where the fan kicks on to cool the engine down. By that point I've usually been able to let the car sit so I don't know if the temp would continue to rise to a "dangerously" high level even when the fan is on. This does not occur for short trips or if I keep a constant speed of at least 30mph after idling or long drives. Keep in mind this happens with normal driving (in other words its not because of hard driving thereby causing engine and supercharger temps to rise). The simplest explanation is that the radiator simply can't "breathe" as well because the exchanger is physically blocking it. Many of you, however, have the exact same setup. Are any of you experiencing this?

Sunday, December 08, 2013 5:28 PM
No problems here.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, December 08, 2013 5:32 PM
After reading this again it sounds normal. Any car will get hot and run the fan when it isn't moving very fast or you're just idling. I'm sure once the fan runs the temp goes back down?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, December 09, 2013 5:42 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I agree that it is normal for any car to kick the fan on after running for any extensive amount of time without air hitting the radiator. However, this is happening far to frequently and quickly for that to be the sole reason. The fact that the temps do return to normal once driving at or above 30mph strongly implicates a lack of air flow to the radiator due to physical blockage by the exchanger. I guess my fear is that the fan itself would be insufficient to cool the engine without the radiator being fully exposed. That could be real bad news if I get stuck in a traffic jam. Fortunately, I have not yet been in a situation where the fan turns on and I haven't been able to park the car. Unfortunately that also means I don't really know if the fan being on would be enough to cool the engine back down in the absence of air flow from driving. Another thing that just occurred to me is that a lot of you have custom tuning. I'm willing to bet many of you have your fan set to engage at a lower temperature than the factory setting. Sadly I do not have this option as I am stuck with the reflash due to both a lack of the knowledge to properly tune and a lack of available, competent, tuners. Perhaps if I could set the fan to turn on at say 200, as opposed to the factory 225, I could preemptively cool the engine. I'm still curious if anyone, perhaps someone with a long commute and running the reflash is or was experiencing this.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 3:49 AM
I drove all summer in 30+ weather in stop and go traffic and never had an issue. Think of it this way. If you have a/c you have another "rad" in front of your rad and it cools just fine.

I think you are just watching it more.
Tuesday, December 10, 2013 3:55 AM
^Agreed. I sat in Boston traffic all the time with mine, no issues.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, December 10, 2013 5:22 AM
Thanks for the input fellas. It is definitely noticeable and it definitely coincides with the heat exchanger being installed. Since both of you have similar setups and neither of you have experienced this under similar driving conditions, then there must be something else going on. As Philly D implied, I probably should not think of the heat exchanger as blocking air flow to the rad, but rather reducing it. Perhaps that reduction in combination with something else is highlighting the existence of another problem that wasn't obvious by itself. Neither thing alone could cause the effect, but the two together make it appear. I did have a coolant flush sometime before the installation of the exchanger. Maybe there is residual air in the system that's preventing optimal cooling and that gets exacerbated with long drives etc.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 5:13 PM
Id be looking towards that then anything else.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search