Boosting a '98 2.4L twin cam - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Boosting a '98 2.4L twin cam
Sunday, June 01, 2014 9:31 PM
So here's the deal; I bet there's a post on here but I'm too dang lazy to sit here searching through every post. There's a lot of skepticism about boosting a 2.4 cavalier. It's in pretty dang good shape. The body is rough but it's an easy fix. My friend is saying my car couldn't handle it and I'll ruin it. My plan is to build my car with forged parts, boost it, and tune it. Please, please for the love of God, tell me this is possible. I'd run 7psi, maybe even push 8. Is it possible to go a tad higher? And how much could it really handle? The help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Re: Boosting a '98 2.4L twin cam
Monday, June 02, 2014 3:52 AM
I would swap the electrical over to a 00-02 LD9, PCM, BCM, Engine harness, body harness, & cluster. Then flash the GM Re-flash on that computer so the car can read / adjust for boost. At around 8psi you can run the factory motor and trans with a little tuning. At 6 psi...no tuning should be required if your using the GM Supercharger injectors.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, June 02, 2014 3:30 PM
So if I did that then there shouldn't be any problem at all boosting? I've read through the posts and it seems convincing enough
Tuesday, June 03, 2014 10:48 AM
man your talking about rebuilding with forged parts. With a proper tune these engines built can handle psi in the 20s. id say with a good tune there is no reason to think that you cant run 8psi all day long on a stock block.

Tuesday, June 03, 2014 12:44 PM
Zs Z wrote:man your talking about rebuilding with forged parts. With a proper tune these engines built can handle psi in the 20s. id say with a good tune there is no reason to think that you cant run 8psi all day long on a stock block.

100% stock long block in good working order....yes. 8PSI with a good tune all day.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, June 04, 2014 7:07 AM
The idea of making more horsepower than my dads '85 mustang almost scares me. But it's good to know going forged parts is the right idea. I mean I can always switch it up. Is there any specific way to set it all up or is it just up to me?
Wednesday, June 04, 2014 7:08 AM
Like piping wise, sorry. Should've said that
Wednesday, June 04, 2014 4:54 PM
if all your goals are to date are around 8 psi, then just do the gm supercharger kit. there are so many around for cheap any more its not funny. hop on the facebook groups if you cant find any here for sale. no its not going to make 400whp, but its still very fun at about 200whp. probably more than whats needed to dust off that old 85 stang, too.

whatever myths your buddy told you about this engine please disregard. they can handle plenty of boost even in stock form... its just gotta be tuned well and you NEED, and I cannot stress NEED enough... you NEED NEED NEED to make sure to keep up on the oil maintenance. ie.. keep it ALWAYS full or a little above, and keep it regularly changed. id also be running a thicker oil to up the oil pressure a little.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Sunday, June 08, 2014 10:40 AM
Stock internals have handled 15-18 psi for long periods of time with proper tunes. 8psi is nothing.

I have a GM charger pushing 10-12psi on stock internals for 5+ years. It is in the tuning!!

FU Tuning

Monday, June 09, 2014 3:33 PM
I can't even begin to say how thankful I am for this website. I've been doing a lot of research and I've come to a conclusion. I'll try running 10-12 and if I don't like that I'll always go bigger. I'm always on top of my oil changes but if thicker is better I'll just fill it with that instead. Now, I know it may sound odd, but would the 2.2 turbo manifold fit on my 2.4?
Monday, June 09, 2014 3:40 PM
Any opinions on the kit from www.myhotcavalier.com??
Attachments
image.jpg (59k)

Monday, June 09, 2014 3:54 PM
No, no, and no.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Monday, June 09, 2014 4:27 PM
Yeah a 2.2 manifold will not work.

FU Tuning

Monday, June 09, 2014 6:32 PM
Well I found two manifolds at the J-body performance site. Is it easier to just piece together a kit rather than search the entire web for one?
Thursday, June 12, 2014 10:36 AM
Yeah you wont find a kit online for our cars that is actually worth a damn. Some places claim to sell kits like you posted above, but its just a universal intercooler kit with chinese components and a no name turbo that probably will die after a small amount of use. Putting one together or finding a usd one are the 2 most reliable choices.

Thursday, July 03, 2014 4:22 PM
Update on this. I know it's a little old. I managed to get a custom manifold, down pipe, custom radiator and coolant reservoir. I'm just piecing it all together slowly. Only thing is, I'm getting a transmission swap done from an auto to a manual, where would I find the step-by-step on how to go about it? I've searched the transmission forum and can't find anything.
Sunday, July 20, 2014 11:34 PM
I ran my ld9 with the m45 for a year with stock internals and I ported the head 2.5 pulley 62 mm t/b and all the other bolt ons had it tuned with hp tuners
on meth I made around 7 psi and it was in boost 90% of its time.ran great then I added nos and then more nos finaly the motor let go!!but never blow up
started to lose oil pressure first and I tell ya it ran right up intill we pulled the motor and when we got the head off we could not belive that little motor
still ran after we seen what happened inside of it the ring in number 3 cyender was imbedded in the head!!!I think you can still see pics of the piston
on the j-body int forum!!the motor with a proper tune will run all day long at 6 psi on stock internals but you ant going to make 8 psi with the m45
with a stock crank pulley!!you want to make anything over 6-7psi you will need a o/d crank pulley and a snout pulley at least 2.6
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search