Turbo Ecotec Baja build - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Turbo Ecotec Baja build
Sunday, June 29, 2014 7:11 PM
Hello everyone,
Not really a J-body project but this is the most active forum for ecotec performance. Anyways I'm looking to build a 300ish HP monster for a baja. I want decent off boost performance and to be fully spooled by 3500rpm. Only looking to push around 15lbs of boost. Keeping rev limit around 6500rpm so I don't have to super mondo spend on a transmission.
Here's what I've got planned so far:
Starting with a 2.2 L61 stock block
Not sure about boring out the block to bring back some off boost performance. Thoughts?
New forged rods from what I've read eagle seems to be the most popular. ARP rod bolts to hold things together.
Not sure which direction I wanna go for Pistons as this car will see street usage I'm uncertain whether to get hypeuretic(sp) or forged pistons. Also not sure what CR to get. 9.5:1 or 9:1?
Turbo: given the stated goals and easier packaging I'm looking at the BW EFR 7064 with the .94 AR twin scroll turbine housing. Also looking at a few Garrett turbos but I wanna build something with a EFR.lol
Turbo Manifold: Custom twin scroll manifold put together by me.
Exhaust: Custom exhaust starting at 3" at the outlet of the turbo with a 8-10" cone expanding to 3.5" then a high flow cat and custom straight through muffler. Again all welded by myself.
Intercooler: custom intercooler volume matched to maximum turbo output.
Intake: I want to make a custom ITB setup that has a common plenum fed by the intercooler. Going to try and make the runners longer to pull the off boost torque lower into the rpm range. Looking to use a borla injection ITB setup that looks like a carb.
Ignition: keeping it stock.
Engine Control: here's where I'm in the biggest pickle. I've read very good things about the AEM infinity and read the manual and it looks to have very good tools and functions for tuning. I'm unsure about how the crank sensors and camshaft sensors will play with ECU though.
I've also read HPT is good software for mildly modified ECOs but haven't read enough to see if it has custom tables and the level of control I want.
Overall tuning strategy I want to use a SD strategy as my main load lookup with a MAF as the backup. Hopefully with a common plenum I can get rid of some of the idle tuning problems most ITB setups have.
Please feel free to critique and comment on my plan here I look forward to learning more. Thanks

Re: Turbo Ecotec Baja build
Monday, June 30, 2014 12:24 PM
If it was me I would go with forged piston's. around stock compression which is 10:1 (I believe).
For tuning I would go with Either Megasquirt, or another stand alone.

HPTuners works good for the factory ECU's, but then you have to deal with VATS etc... Also it would not allow for a MAF.

I have used Megasquirt once (not on e Ecotec engine), but it was great!!! I think this will more than handle your needs.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, July 01, 2014 9:57 AM
I forgot a few things.
Gas choice right now I'm stuck with piss gas CA 91 oct. I know that will affect my CR just not sure how detonation resistant a ecotec combustion chamber is.
I like Megasquirt that's why I'm torn between that and the AEM. The AEM has some cool features though that's for sure. For example if you have a fuel pressure sensor and it reads lower fuel pressure the ECU will compensate the injector pulse width to still hit your AFR target. That's pretty pimp.
Any thoughts on the choice of turbo?
Does the ECO come with piston oil squirters?
Tuesday, July 01, 2014 5:10 PM
Tracy Johnston wrote:I forgot a few things.
Gas choice right now I'm stuck with piss gas CA 91 oct. I know that will affect my CR just not sure how detonation resistant a ecotec combustion chamber is.
I like Megasquirt that's why I'm torn between that and the AEM. The AEM has some cool features though that's for sure. For example if you have a fuel pressure sensor and it reads lower fuel pressure the ECU will compensate the injector pulse width to still hit your AFR target. That's pretty pimp.
Any thoughts on the choice of turbo?
Does the ECO come with piston oil squirters?

The Ecotec is a really good motor and takes boost well. I have tuned a stock motor Ecotec with 17psi to make 314whp. That was the limits of the stock motor. My point being even on 91 octane I do not see a problem hitting 300hp.

To my knowledge 2.2 Ecotec's did not have oil squirters. I think either the LSJ (2.0 supercharged), or LNF (2.0 turbo) had them, but do not hold me to that.

FU Tuning

Sunday, August 31, 2014 3:41 PM
The 2.4 LE5 has oil squirters. I believe the 2.0LNF does also.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search