Oil supply for Turbo - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Oil supply for Turbo
Monday, December 22, 2014 8:15 PM
Okay so i'm kinda new to turbos as far as installation, but i recently aqcuired a kit for a 2.4 cavalier and i'm planning on buying a 2.2 manifold to put on my 98 2.2sfi and i'm kinda sketchy on drilling my block or oil pan for the oil return line and am wondering if it would be possible to do a seperate oil supply for the turbo?

Re: Oil supply for Turbo
Monday, December 22, 2014 9:31 PM
On the 2.2l OHV, most people put the oil return back into the oil dipstick. And there are places to pull oil out from behind the block.
Tuesday, December 23, 2014 5:55 AM
Okay cool, i never thought of that. also one more question, what would be a good psi to run? the external waste gate that came with everything i bought is 17psi, I feel like that might be to much for my engine
Tuesday, December 23, 2014 6:45 AM
psi numbers are relative but on a bone stock motor I'd start with a 6-8lb spring.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, December 23, 2014 6:59 AM
okay yeah that's what i was thinking, i just wanted to get some other opinions. Will i need bigger injectors or fuel pump or will i be alright with stock for now cause i plan on upgrading them eventually, and also should i buy a new ecu or no? i've been told i'm gonna need an aftermarket ecu but i've also been told i don't.
Tuesday, December 23, 2014 7:46 AM
If you're going to upgrade the fuel pump eventually; do it along with the turbo install and save yourself the trouble down the road.

Injectors will need upgraded. Stock are very small and any boost will Max them out

Oil feed; next to the oil filter there is a 1/4" npt plug that has a square fitting (that a 1/4 ratchet extension fits into) that you can get oil from

I dumped the oil in the dip tube hole for return until I changed my header design which doesn't allow for that now so I use a return pump

I ran 10-12 psi through a stock motor on a 50trim .63 turbo for a while and it was fine. I ran 5psi for 2 years before that.

Stock pcm will work with hpt.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search