map sensor question ? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
map sensor question ?
Wednesday, April 27, 2005 7:03 PM
ok the 2200 map sensor cant read boost i know that but silly question but the the sunbird turbo map is made to see boost correct ? can you replace the one the 2200 has with that sensor and splice in the new connector ? will this work ? or will the pcm compenstate and possibly set the engine light?

13's or blowning it. one way or the other!

Re: map sensor question ?
Wednesday, April 27, 2005 7:06 PM
No, the PCM does not know how to read boost, so here's how it would go:

Stock sensor is something like 0-5 volts, so is the one for boost, so lets pretend 0 volts means full vac, 5 volts means 0 PSI on the 1 bar MAP sensor.

On the 2 bar sensor, its also 0-5 volts, 0 volts is full vac, 5 volts is 2 bar (roughly 15 PSI). So when you hit full boost at 5 PSI, you're map sensor will read about 1.8 volts, which is damn near full vac, so its going to think "Gee, full vac, gotta take fuel out". Run lean, boom, motor done, game over, thanks for playing.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 7:27 PM
LOL thanks shifted for putting it so bluntly ! lol ! i like that . so with out spending the money that i dont have is there a way to get past the map sen problem ? maybe with the one way check valve? will the safc help solve this problem to?

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 7:33 PM
What MAP sensor problem are you speaking of?

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 7:43 PM
i ve been having running problems the car seems to be holding back ,sluggish ,with the work that has been done to the car and 6psi of boost it should have some kick to it but it doesnt . the boost gauge reads 6 . so i had a guy from porshe at the dealership i work at hes the turbo guru there look at it and he said that he thought the map is screwing up the timing and fuel . he suggested a one way check valve but its still doing the same thing . i also have 270cc inj i installed also so i cant be maxing the inj either.dude im lost.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 7:46 PM
i can get you a GM 3 bar MAP sensor if you should need one.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Wednesday, April 27, 2005 7:51 PM
thanks maybe i will but im not sure what i need right now

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 7:53 PM
^ Yeah, that would make things worse...

The MAP sensor really can't read over 1.05 atmosphere, so it won't see any boost, check valve or not. The check valve is only real useful at idle and low throttle not in boost so that the turbo creating atmospheric pressure in the throttle body doesn't throw the map reading off.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 7:56 PM
do you think it could be a fuel supply problem ? it still has the stock pump in it ? ive bought a pump its just not in yet ? the pressure stays good and the a/f gauge says its rich but who knows

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 8:46 PM
Could be running too rich, what injectors are you using, what FPR and FMU, and what pressure and rate are they set at?

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 9:01 PM
sluggish? way too rich! your best (read cheapest!) way is to get a safc who cares if the computer never sees boost. the computer is gonna runn fine like nothing is happening only instead of being at 0 psi your at 6 psi where it gets tricky is you need more fuel so you have to

A: search like a mad man and find the PERFECT injectors
B: get bigger injectors and turn them down by some means (safc & e-manage TEC-3 etc. etc....)

that stupid little computer in your bumper is @!#$ complex (ask shifted) so leave it alone and find a way to tune your fuel properly

if any of this makes no sense you can blame my E&J and dr. pepper mix cuase im quite blitzed right now

"dude, thats a girls car"
PSHHHTTT NOT ANY MORE!!!!!!!

Friday, April 29, 2005 2:43 PM
i have 250 cc injectors in the car at this moment it is at stock pressure 43.5? and the stock fpr . i know thats not good . but im this weekend hopeing to put in my aeromotive fpr and set it at 35-40 psi the reg is the boost dependent one 1-1 ratio, also hopeing to put in the walbro 255 pump but as of now its the stock pump. also is the safc easy to work as far as setting and tunning with it ?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search