High milage turbo set up - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
High milage turbo set up
Sunday, June 01, 2008 5:21 AM
I was just curious. I have a 2003 pontiac sunfire eco 2.2l. I was considering turbo charging but i have about 104,000 miles on my motor and trans. Would i run into any serious issues if i decided to turbo charge the car now?

Re: High milage turbo set up
Sunday, June 01, 2008 2:56 PM
i dont think so just dont be boosting the hell out of it. Stay with 6
Sunday, June 01, 2008 6:23 PM
i turbo'd my 2200 with 150000 miles
Monday, June 02, 2008 6:44 AM
6-7 psi seems to be the norm. There have been some gutsy mothers on here that have been known to push it to around 9-10 but that didn't last too long. around 4 or 5 months at most.

Monday, June 02, 2008 7:12 AM
Have you kept it well maintained?

Monday, June 02, 2008 7:39 AM
YES!!!!!!! I have changed spark plugs and oil together everything 3,000 miles since ive had the car. I love my car and I can never let my car go unmaintained

Monday, June 02, 2008 7:45 AM
Then I dont see much of a problem....you might want to do something like a leakdown/compression check to make sure nothing seems to be on the verge of crapping out on you. Then when you blow it up.....get a low milage donor

If you dont abuse it though, shouldn't have much problem.

Monday, June 02, 2008 8:54 AM
What are the chances that I can really cause some damage to my internals if im only running about 6 lbs of boost?

Monday, June 02, 2008 8:58 AM
That all depends on the supporting mods you do to it.....especially fuel related.

Monday, June 02, 2008 9:05 AM
I know this guy selling a hahn kit that he used for about 1k miles. would this be a good option for a first time turbo set up so i can test the waters? I wont be runinng more than 5 psi with it on. I appreciate all your help dude ^^^^^^^^^^

Monday, June 02, 2008 9:11 AM
Hahn makes bolt on kits for our cars, It is a great choice for a 1st time setup. Just make sure you monitor the motor (oil psi, a/f, temps).

Monday, June 02, 2008 9:12 AM
If it comes with everything from the hahn kit you will be fine. They include larger injectors and inline fuel pump as well as basically everything you need to run up to 8 psi I think those are set at. A very nice off the shelf unit, that a lot of people use.

Monday, June 02, 2008 9:28 AM
Cool. I'll go with the Hahn Stage 1 Kit then built it up from there after a while of use.

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 9:05 AM
Hey, I'm looking for a turbo kit for a 2002, Z-24 Cavalier and I can't find one anywhere, Hahn said they dont make one for my car anymore, and can't find a kit for my car, Help Please!!!!
Tuesday, June 03, 2008 10:36 AM
I would do a custom jobber or buy the GM supercharger instead of turbo.

I see ld-9 turbo stuff in classifieds and regional forums everywhere.

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 2:02 PM
Thanks John
Tuesday, June 03, 2008 3:02 PM
To the main question... 104,000 miles isnt too bad. I turbo'd my car at 122,000 miles. Im pushing 10psi, and because of a little boost creep, it slowly raises to 12psi in 2nd gear. I kinda like it though At 123k miles the original trans failed. I put a newer one in.

As for the engine, its holding up great. I also monitor the oil blowby through the pcv but I dont get very much. It doesnt use oil. I check it quite often. In 3,000 miles i lost less than 1\4 qt of oil. I now have 125500 miles. So after 3500 miles, almost 3 months, and some dyno runs it still runs great. I tuned it myself with HP TUNERS, I am not intercooled and I am using e85 for fuel. Making 197 hp and 264 ft.lbs to the wheels.

But this is all on the 2200 engine, not the ECO. As I have heard the ECO takes boost better so there you go.

----------------------------------------------------------------
www.bradsairsoft.com
Wednesday, June 04, 2008 4:22 AM
2200's LOVE boost...

They are very solid motors.

Thursday, June 05, 2008 3:02 PM
John Benham wrote:2200's LOVE boost...

They are very solid motors.

^ Really?? I heard otherwise, but its good to know

----------------------------------------------------------------
www.bradsairsoft.com
Friday, June 06, 2008 4:23 AM
2200's do indeed love boost.....the J's computer....not so much...

Friday, June 06, 2008 10:16 AM
Hey John, I found a turbo kit on vulcan, but they want 3 grand for the whole kit, if I bought the turbo and manifold from them, do you think I would be able to get the lines and pipes cheaper somewhere else but still be compatible to the turbo and manifold from them?

Friday, June 06, 2008 10:29 AM
I have seen Vulcans manifold, although I have never actually seen it in person.....from what I can tell, it looks very nice, solid, built & designed well.

If 3k is a little high on the price, I would recomend just getting thier manifold. Buying the turbo, oil lines, various other parts where you can find them cheaper. It will also allow you to personalise the kit with exactly what YOU want....not Vulcan.

You should be able to save some money, and spread out your payment of it, instead of dropping it all at once.

I will say there is more work involved....I forget if thier kit comes with an intercooler, if so, then it will also have pre-bent piping, which saves you a lot of fab time....as well as the downpipe (if thier kit includes it).

To be honest 3k isnt that bad of a price, especially with a custom stainless turbo mani. But to answer your question, I would get thier mani, and build from there.

Friday, June 06, 2008 10:34 AM
Thanks again John, but I was just talking to a buddy of mine and now instead of the high price turbo, I was thinking about just putting a 75 shot on my stock block, but my question now is what performance head gasket and head studs should I look for? My car is getting up there in mileage and i figured spending 600 and something breaking, as opposed to 3k would be worth my wild.
Friday, June 06, 2008 10:41 AM
I would check the nitrous forums, but with the eco, I would recomend ARP studs, if you plan on changing/taking off the head. I hear a lot of people like the GM MLS head gaskets for these.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search