TRANSMISSION PROBLEM?? HELP!! - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
TRANSMISSION PROBLEM?? HELP!!
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 5:44 AM
ok, i have a 97 z24 with 88000k on it. i have this annoying HIGH-pitched noise coming from the front left side of the engine bay between 30-40mph. it is a manual trans and is definitely in the drivetrain considering the noise varies with speed. if i am just cruisin (hardly on the gas) at about 35 mph the noise is the loudest. when i slow down and almost come to a complete stop, i can also here clicking noises coming from the same spot. the problem has not yet affected the drivability of my car but i would like to cure this annoying problem. i feel it is in the transmission (output shaft??) but would rather hear it's maybe a bad cv-joint or something less intensive.

let me also say that on colder days the high-pitched noise is louder than on warmer days. any ideas or diagnosis for this would be greatly appreciated. thanx

Nathan S. Nace

Re: TRANSMISSION PROBLEM?? HELP!!
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 8:46 AM
come guys...give me some kind of advice

Nathan S. Nace
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 8:53 AM
I would say check out the CV joints--make sure the boot isn't torn or anything. Also, when's the last time you changed the fluid in it?

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Thursday, February 17, 2005 12:32 PM
even though it is a manual trans i changed the fluid just to be on the sure side considering i just bought the car, didn't know whether or not previous maintainers used that syncromesh.
could cv joints make that kind of noise though?? i know they make a clicking noise when they're bad especially at turn but this is a constant high-pitched noise.

Nathan S. Nace
Saturday, February 19, 2005 8:23 AM
when the cv joint went on my 88 accord, it was a very very loud clicking noise. almost like if you put a card between bike spokes, but more of a metal noise. it started effecting the power steering after a while. if it was high pitched it might not be the cv joint, but check anyway. your sure its not a belt squeaking?

When changing gears in life, remember Find 'em, don't Grind 'em.
2003 Silver LS Sport Coupe 5-speed
Saturday, February 19, 2005 8:01 PM
i checked out the cv boot and it seems (visually) to be ok, no tears or openings on the boots itself. is there anyway to check the cv joint other than removing the boot....any special methods or procedures before i take the boot off?? replacing the whole driveaxle is probably my easiest route but cost effective as well.

Nathan S. Nace
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search