How To - Clutch line Fix/Upgrade - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How To - Clutch line Fix/Upgrade
Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:50 PM
Heres a solution and a nice upgrade to GM's clutch line design flaw. Some of use found out the hard way that the rubber
section of the line rubs against a sharp part of a wire harness rubbing a hole in the line. I had bought another line from
GM and installed it momentarily until I found a better solution. Hardest part was finding a line or fitting that had the
same quick disconnect fitting that goes into the master cylinder. Theres a tag on the new line that says Germany which made
me think they might use the same connectors on German cars. Then I came across the E46 SS braided clutch line which had the
a similar quick disconnect fitting on one end and a female threaded sided on the other end. Took a chance, bought it, and
sure enough it was the same. Bought some brass fittings and made it all work.

Heres a closer view of the quick disconnect fittings.
Stock E46

Tools:
Line cutter
Tube bender
Wrenches

What you need:

1 01-05 BMW E46 M3 SS Braided Clutch Line

1 Brass 3/16 compression union
1 Metric brass 3/16" (3/8-24) inverted female to M10 x 1.0 Male Bubble
Fittings can be bought form your local auto parts store. I got mine from Auto Zone for like 4.00 for both of them.

Cut the hard line closest to the rubber section. I cut mine right before the bend because of clearance using the cutter tool. You can see that in the picture where I chose to cut the metal portion of the line. (Note: You need to make about a 45 degree bend in the hard line after you cut it if you wanted it to be routed the same way as the original line was.)

Lightly sand the coating off the end you just cut, to bare metal. About 1/2" down will do.

You will only need one sleeve and nut for the compression union. The other sleeve and nut you can save for whatever reason. I did for replacement parts if i ever need them. Attach the union to one end of the hard line and then screw together the metric adapter to the other end of the union. Then take the SS line and screw the end to the metric adapter.

Heres the order how it will go together.

Here the final product what you should end up with.

Make sure every thing is tight and install the new line on the car. Fill the reservoir, bleed the Clutch line, and check for any leaks. Tighten where needed.

I have had mine on my car for over a year and no leaks or problems what so ever.

Save your money. It might be worth something someday.

Re: How To - Clutch line Fix/Upgrade
Thursday, November 19, 2009 8:58 PM
Nice work. Do you think anybody sells just the QD style end with a threaded end on the other side rather than the SS line or a compression hard line setup? Let me clarfy, do they sell just the fitting that is on the far right side of your above pic with like a pipe thread or any other type of thread on the other side...just the fitting, no line connected.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, November 19, 2009 8:59 PM

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Friday, November 20, 2009 4:13 AM
a compression fitting works well. its wat i used to adapt my 282 line to the isuzu m/s
Friday, November 20, 2009 7:10 AM
I look all over for a threaded QD fitting and had no luck.

Friday, November 20, 2009 7:42 AM
sweet glad to see you posted the how to. Looks good.

Friday, November 20, 2009 7:42 AM
verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyy nice work very nice

just in time i need that

thankssssss a wholeeeeeeeee bunch you just helped me out tons
Friday, November 20, 2009 1:16 PM
JUCNBST wrote:sweet glad to see you posted the how to. Looks good.

Thanks Jeff

timka03 cav wrote:verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyy nice work very nice

just in time i need that

thankssssss a wholeeeeeeeee bunch you just helped me out tons

No Problem

Friday, November 20, 2009 4:58 PM
nice write up man. sticky?

Friday, November 20, 2009 6:32 PM
definite sticky.

-Trailblazer SS - not so custom 6.0L - custom intake - custom tune
- (1) 2.4L on an engine stand (1) blown trans (2) good quad trans (1) eco trans = party

Saturday, November 21, 2009 7:10 AM
I wish I had known this last year, Happened to me last summer, but I didnt know what had happened, so I took it to the dealer to get fixed.

$220 later and I had a new clutch line.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 3:57 AM
nice, stickyness!

Wednesday, December 02, 2009 5:54 AM
Bump, also I highly doubt it will happen but......it would be nice to get a sticky with trans info/upgrades

Thursday, December 03, 2009 4:22 AM
Sticky THIS!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, December 03, 2009 5:38 PM
I just notice that the package for the gator gripper union said 'Not reccomended for automotive brake line systems'. The clutch line uses the same technology. I wonder what the long-term sustainability of this fix will be? Also, I cannot find the gator gripper compression fittings anywhere online! anyone have a link to the company website or a dealer besides Autozone (dont see it there either)
Thursday, December 03, 2009 8:02 PM
Clutch pressure is lower pressure than a hydraulic brake system. The most they have in common is the fluid, not much more. They should work on the clutch line just fine. Also, those union 'can' be used on brake lines in emergency situations as I've had to do it before and it holds the pressure just fine. They have to say 'not recommended' cause they can't go around saying it is fine. Inevitably a moron will install them wrong, it pops off, lose control of the car and kill people. Then said moron will blame the manufacturer for not telling him that he is a moron and has no business even touching his car in the first place, and the manufacturer will get hung out to dry in our justice system. Ya know, the moron's American dream, you can see it everyday. Sorry to put it that way.....but it's honest.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Thursday, December 03, 2009 8:39 PM

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Saturday, September 15, 2012 4:51 PM
I hate to have to post on a 3 year old thread, but I have been searching internet for a good half hour and can't find a proper part number and the dealership still open on the west coast i called was useless. What is the gm part number for that line that you have? with the bleeder and the metal line all of that. My rubber hose has sprung a leak like so many and would like to get it fixed asap.
Thank you,
Lee
Saturday, September 15, 2012 5:00 PM
Lee I've got the clutch master #listed in my 2001 red cavi's profile if you click my user name.

Saturday, September 15, 2012 5:39 PM
Im pretty sure it's not the master cylinder...Its a clutch line... Online the pics of the master cylinder are different im talking about the pic above with the metal line and the bleeder witht he rubber hose that goes to the clutch actuator pipe or w/e. Can't find anything online that looks like that part
Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:39 PM
When my clutch line blew I was quoted around 200$ for the line and the master cylinder assembly wich comes with the reservoir, cluthch line and bleeder was 250$.part #24233064
Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:51 PM
I ordered the part from gm parts direct. Someone on another forum gave me the part #. dealer wanted 130, i got it 78$ shipped part number: 89060003
Thanks,
Lee
Monday, November 26, 2012 3:46 AM
Sticky this

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Monday, November 26, 2012 5:20 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:Sticky this

Club Jeffie, Yea we can make that. Text or Call(908)866-1882

Monday, May 27, 2013 3:35 PM
Any links or part numbers for the BMW line for less than $40?
Monday, May 27, 2013 4:14 PM
Monday, May 27, 2013 4:27 PM
That's still $40 shipped but thanks. I found one for less though using the OEM part number.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search