Geo Storm Tranny - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Geo Storm Tranny
Saturday, August 07, 2010 9:16 PM

Re: Geo Storm Tranny
Sunday, August 08, 2010 7:28 AM
Yep, that is the one.
Sunday, August 08, 2010 12:51 PM
u sure??? i dont wanna buy it and the gear sets not swap....anyone else wanna confirm this please???

Sunday, August 08, 2010 2:27 PM
Well, I have a 91 dohc storm gearset in my 98 so... Yea I am sure.
Sunday, August 08, 2010 3:24 PM
I wasnt trying to imply that you didnt know what you were talking about.....i just wanted to be sure....you know what i mean?

Sunday, August 08, 2010 5:58 PM
Haha, sure. I know there are a few others on here who have done the swap.
Monday, August 09, 2010 3:54 PM
Assuming it is what they say it is, and it looks just like the Geo tranny I scowered for parts, then yes it will definitely work, to a point, there are some small differences.

What are your plans? From that I can tell you any problems you will run into.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Monday, August 09, 2010 7:49 PM
Basically my 1st 2nd and 3rd synchros are bad at only 100k miles SUPRISE SUPRISE!!!! LOL....I wanted to swap out the guts if it works like im reading.....swap out the mj1 gear set for the complete geo storm gear set and final drive.

Monday, August 09, 2010 7:54 PM
Depending on what final drive you end up with (it varies) that could either give you really short gears or really long, the final drive in my tranny was something along the lines of 3.4, you might be lucky enough to get 4.11's.

Personally I would just take the first and second out of the geo (assuming it has 1 piece synchros) and order some new synchros for it. My one piece synchro swap has worked better than the stupid 3 piece synchros from day one, and I've tried both using brand new synchros. The 3 piece synchros lasted me just over a year, and about 40 runs at the track.

Grab the tranny, count the ratios that came with it, and go from there.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Monday, August 09, 2010 8:03 PM
From what im understanding if it is indeed a 91 dohc storm tranny it would have the 4:11s...and is anyone aware if the guts will actually swap??? these are answers i need before i push pay on paypal lol

Monday, August 09, 2010 8:15 PM
Like I said, 90% of the internals will swap, but there are slight variances, like the spacer between 1st and 2nd is .074" thinner, and reverse is a bit different, but all the gears swap with no modifications.

My Geo tranny was advertised as the DOHC and I didn't get 4:11's, there are weird trannys out there that don't always fit the norm. The FDR in my Geo tranny doesn't match any literature I can find. I wasn't worried about that though, because I was only buying it for the diff and spider gears. The 1 piece synchros were just a bonus.

Have you ever tore a tranny down before? Do you have an arbor press? You'll need one.

There are many components, and they all MUST go together perfectly.

Monday, August 09, 2010 8:29 PM
Yeah i got a 40ton press and yeah ive tore trannies down.....welded my dif pin and barbequed the gears(For Strenght) in my turbo 92 saturn sl2 and my brother and i did some gear changing on is 90 Plymouth Laser RS-T......im not the least bit scared of tranny work LOL

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 5:07 AM
All of the DOHC Storms should have the 4.11. When I did my swap, all I had to do was swap the input shaft bearing raceway (the one on the bellhousing side) from the stocker to the Storm. I re-used the Cavalier shift rails, and other than the raceway swap, the input shaft, output shaft, and differential from the Storm dropped right in my Cavalier case.
Thursday, August 26, 2021 5:32 PM
Ok guys. I’m new to this. Since you guys have taken the storm transmission apart. I’m stuck. I took all bolts out, removed shifter plate, took 5th gears off. Case separates slightly but something internally is hung up. Can you guys give me insight to what I am missing here?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search