Transmission can't find a gear - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Transmission can't find a gear
Saturday, July 14, 2012 6:34 AM
Hi All,

I have an 04 Cavalier with 105k miles on it with an automatic transmission. Recently, it has been shifting very strangely.

- driving along at 2500rpms or more, the rpms will bounce around as if the car doesnt know what gear to be in.
- on occasion when driving, the car will come out of gear completely, causing me to redline as if its in nuetral. the only way to fix this is to let off the gas put it in neutral and then back into drive or slowly let off the gas until the rpms come back down within range at which point it usually goes back into drive. however, if i simply let off the gas entirely, it will stay out of gear until i put it in nuetral and then back to drive.
- when under load, on a hill for example while accelerating, it wont downshift properly and often just shifts at random times

I've had the transmission replaced, including the torque converter, which hasnt fixed the problem. My mechanic also went over everything he could think of such as checking the fuel system, changing the MAP sensor, checking the CAT, reflashing and updating the computer and checking the ignition system. Im wondering what else could be causing this if the tranny has already been replaced. What else can I look for?

Re: Transmission can't find a gear
Saturday, July 14, 2012 6:57 PM
Computer?

black 03 z24 with a few mods
Saturday, July 14, 2012 6:59 PM
Nevermind.. Reading owns me

black 03 z24 with a few mods
Wednesday, May 08, 2013 5:44 PM
similar issue in the wifeys o4, doesnt down shift quite right, and when u slow down for example from 70 to like 50 it goes to go into 3rd then shifts right up into 4th then bogs, the problems are only under LIGHT throttle tho, i dont have any issues when i drive ti myself

im asuming we may have a similar issue

John Lenko wrote: It is bad. Stop. Now. Bad. Bad bad. Bad bad bad.

...j

Friday, May 10, 2013 1:47 PM
could it be something simple like a throttle position sensor thats loose inside? i just replaced mine, the little plastic piece was loose and able to move around freely..i believe they are supposed to be absolutely tight and unable to move on their own.

are there any other transmission sensors you've over looked?

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search