TCC unlocking - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
TCC unlocking
Friday, October 12, 2012 10:58 AM
I have a '96 with a four-speed auto. The TCC keeps unlocking and relocking on the highway. I had the fluid and filter changed, but no impact. Then I noticed the TPS signal bouncing around on my ScanGuage. I realized when the ECU saw the throttle was a 0%, it would think I was coasting and unlock the TCC.

I've search the forums and come up with this:
1 - put a meter on the TPS and verify it is good or bad
2 - search for bad wiring/connections.

Now for my question; I know Dodges have this problem when the slip ring in the steering wheel goes bad. Is there any similar trouble spot for the TPS circuit on the J-bodies? I'd like to know what else to check before I replace the TPS.

Re: TCC unlocking
Friday, October 12, 2012 7:06 PM
Unplug the sensor and ground out the signal wire. Should max out the signal on the scanner. As far as a break in the wire thats a diff story and harder to trace if its intermittent. Dont know of anything in the steering column like a dodge either. My money is on tps sensor being goofy.

Have a nice day.
Saturday, October 13, 2012 4:16 AM
My question is that if you know that you're having a TPS problem, why would you try to troubleshoot some other problem?

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Monday, October 29, 2012 4:21 AM
SHOoff wrote:My question is that if you know that you're having a TPS problem, why would you try to troubleshoot some other problem?

Agreed.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, October 30, 2012 7:01 AM
SHOoff wrote:My question is that if you know that you're having a TPS problem, why would you try to troubleshoot some other problem?

I wouldn't. If the TPS is determined bad in step one, I would not proceed to troubleshoot the wiring. Only if the TPS is working correctly, would I investigate other sources of the problem.

FWIW, the TCC has worked perfectly ever since I posted this question. I guess the threat of attaching a meter was enough to make it get its act together.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search