NEED HELP!!1st and 3rd pop out :'( - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
NEED HELP!!1st and 3rd pop out :'(
Thursday, November 01, 2012 10:43 AM
Got stage 2 clutch installed and now 1st and 3rd like to pop out. I have a 2000 Cavalier with a 2.2. Any help I would be thankful. Please help cause this is my only car.

"you drive a cavaquier?" "you drive an exploder? That's much worse."

Re: NEED HELP!!1st and 3rd pop out :'(
Thursday, November 01, 2012 10:54 AM
Sounds like the sychros in the tranny...

Search on here, i know its been covered before with alot of good info.

Good luck.

My car was made with wrenches, Not chopsticks.
Thursday, November 01, 2012 11:36 AM
Why should it be acting up now? It was shifting completely fine before I dropped it off.

Thursday, November 01, 2012 5:06 PM
That i couldnt tell ya.
But i had the similar problem but in 2nd and 3rd.
stock clutch.

GM covered it under warranty and replaced the tranny due to bad synchros....
Thats what the paper work said.

Few weeks later i installed a Spec 2 clutch and short throw shifter with zero problems.

Wish i could be of more belp.

Thursday, November 01, 2012 5:12 PM
Btw. Mine was 02 2.2ohv with the 5spd Getrag.

Thursday, November 01, 2012 5:31 PM
I would make sure that the shift cables are attached correctly and there is nothing blocking the shift mechanism at the trans (possibly the cables are stretched too). Mine is an F23 trans (I dont know if the 2000 model is the same, I cant remember). I had a bad cable wich caused this shortly after I put a new trans in for the same problem. Im pretty sure the previous owner of the car couldn't drive to save their life, as the cables were screwed up and the trans didn't shift right from the day I got it.

I ended up losing 3 and 4, and put a junkyard transmission in.

I found out later that the cables were stretched and screwed up cause it didnt feel right with the replacement trans. New cables fixed it.

I just put my built motor in, and in a hurry I forgot to mount the heater hoses to the block (I created a new mount for them cause I made modifications to the lines for my turbo etc). The metal part of the lines was laying over the shift assembly on the trans making it impossible to find 1, 3 and 5 without shoving on the shifter. I mounted them and its all butter again.

I would check the cables. I also almost ripped them out of the car when i pulled the motor because they were still bolted to the transmission, and i did it twice LOL. its possible whoever did the work did that as well (I might not be the only retarded one).

Generally speaking, if the clutch were the problem you would be experiencing issues with all gears and not just 1 and 3. How does 5 feel?

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Thursday, November 01, 2012 7:29 PM
I'll try that because a family friend said since its stage 2, I have to be more aggressive with my shifting which I don't believe him. Thank you matt and thank you Z-Fire. And matt would it matter what linkage I get as long as it fits and who would I take it all out?

Thursday, November 01, 2012 8:44 PM
You shouldn't have to be more aggressive with the shifting. Aside from pedal feel and grab the actual shifting should feel the same. I drove a car with a stage 4 springless clutch which was basically like an on/off switch but the shifter was the same feel a my stock (at the time) car was.

As for shifter cables? I would get whatever factory replacement there is for your model year. I don't know what that would be. I got mine from gm parts direct a few years back. I don't know what you mean by "who would I take it all out" though. Lol.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Friday, November 02, 2012 2:51 AM
Sorry I should have worded that better. How would I go about taking out the cables in the car? Do I have to have a special tool or is it just unhooking it all and sliding right out?

Friday, November 02, 2012 6:22 AM
The F23 didn't require any special tools at all. It simply was disconnect, remove and reconnect. It was a pain to get the new ones installed without kinking or stressing them too much (I was being careful cause I didn't want to damage them at all so it took a little while longer).

Not really hard to do at all though. The bolt that mounts the cables to the shift mechanism on the trans I think is a reverse torx head, but I used a 12pt 10mm socket and it worked (unless that's what is suppose to be used, I'm not sure).

Friday, November 02, 2012 6:28 AM
K thanks matt I'll give it a try

Friday, November 02, 2012 5:58 PM
Cables are deff cheaper than synchros im gotta figure!
Lol
Really hope thats it!

Saturday, November 03, 2012 9:10 AM
Quote:

Cables are deff cheaper than synchros im gotta figure!
Lol
Really hope thats it!

Right on!

I was quoted some outrageous amount to have the trans looked at and diagnosed when I lost 3 and 4 gears. I paid like $285 for a replacement f23 from a junkyard and threw it in myself. MUCH better option if you are having trans trouble IMO -- Even if you have to pay a mechanic to do it, you're still probably better off with a boneyard swap.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search