Fidanza vs SPEC flywheels - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fidanza vs SPEC flywheels
Monday, February 04, 2013 3:05 PM
I am going to be replacing my clutch here soon, figured I'd put an aluminum flywheel while I am there. There is quite the difference in price, and in a thread I found on here from a few years back there was nothing saying one was better or worse. Does anyone have any information one way or the other?

Re: Fidanza vs SPEC flywheels
Monday, February 04, 2013 3:57 PM
They are from what ive read the same..

If I had a choice id probably go with a Fidanza over a spec. I dunno why I just trust them more. there was a issue mostly with 2.4's ripping the centers out but I dont think its as much of an issue with the ecos.
Monday, February 04, 2013 4:15 PM
I have an older fidanza and it survived me blowing the differential from wheel hop. Even if they are in fact the same (which I've also read a few places), I'd go fidanza again just because.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, February 04, 2013 7:45 PM
Just go steel. unless you plan on revving super high or running super fast... stock works great.

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 4:43 PM
For your car being s/c'd and mine having been mp62'd. I've run both stock and spec aluminum flywheels. My car pulled hardest with the stock wheel as opposed to the lighter flywheel. I I used a spec stage2 clutch that was gone after 10k miles. However the stock pressure plate with the ld9 act 6puck disc that Roofy posted up has worked with no slip for the other 35k miles that were put on my car.

If I were to due it again, I'd used the stock flywheel, 99ld9 sprung act 6 puck clutch disc and a stock pressure plate

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 4:46 PM
the new fidanza flywheels... well, at least the LD9 ones are beefier in the center. they fixed that problem.

and im pretty sure both brands were one in the same in the beginning but in recent years spec got away from fidanza...

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Tuesday, February 05, 2013 5:02 PM
I'm running a fidanza with around 65k no issues.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 8:38 PM
^ you are?!!?!? i had no idea you had an alum. flywheel!

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Tuesday, February 05, 2013 9:23 PM
thanks for the input guys, i appreciate it.

what is the difference between the LD9 and eco clutch disks?

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 9:32 PM
They are the same size and have the same spline count on the Isuzu and getrag. But the ld9 act 6puck disc can he had for roughly $150 saving you money on a quality performance clutch setup. Most places use a stock pressure plate on their lowwer level performance clutch kits. It is the friction material on the disc that gives the increased capacity.

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 6:41 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:^ you are?!!?!? i had no idea you had an alum. flywheel!

Yes I am. Along with my Spec Stage 2.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 7:38 PM
Ive had my fidanza flywheel for 80k+ miles. Ive had no problems with it at all what so ever. I did have problems with the spec clutches twice so i changed to clutchmasters and have had zero problems for 30k on this clutch so far.
Saturday, February 09, 2013 8:29 AM
I ran a SPEC one N/A and with my turbo setup...... no problems.

My brother ran a SPEC/Fidenza one on his 98, no problems.

We ran the same one on our turbo W41 w/o any problems.

N/A we actually picked up a few MPH and shaved some time off the 1/4 w/o any other mods.

Turbo, car excelerated very smoothly and didn't seem to suffer from "boost lag" do to the light flywheel.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Monday, February 11, 2013 3:46 AM
Spec used to get their flywheels from fidanza. They stopped completely around 2005 or 06'.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search