gearing change for f23? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
gearing change for f23?
Tuesday, February 05, 2013 4:25 PM
I was just watching youtube videos of some boosted cavalier and a few stood out to me as not having stock gearing... 2 ran out the 1.4 @140+ in 4th gear... transmissions and gearing are something ive never dealt with so i figured people in here might have some suggestions... youtube loose coose racing theres an in car video of a 10.44 pass and thier website doesnt work so i cant ask there...

Re: gearing change for f23?
Tuesday, February 05, 2013 4:35 PM
Iirc camron used a stock trans with a welded diff. Keep in mind increasing the rpms will allow for more mph per gear, as will a taller tire.

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 4:43 PM
he actually went faster, a 10.0 with the same trans

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Tuesday, February 05, 2013 6:19 PM
Ok well now heres my ? Most posts say no to welding the diff... now my cars street driven i run 215/45/17 tires 7 wide....i know that they make inserts and obx and quaife make lsd's would welding the diff be streetable and as durable as buying an aftermarket diff? I know i can get about 120 in 4th i just dont know what kinda times im gonna expect or mph
Tuesday, February 05, 2013 8:38 PM
On a street driven fwd car, I wouldn't run a welded diff because when you try to turn both axles will he going the same speed and that stress plus the low profile tireswill break axles, or the diff. On a fwd car is run the obx, or any other insert.

However if it was rwd, I'd say you could get away with it for daily use for a little while, it is only a matter of time. I dd'd an sten for a few months with a spool and 26.5-10.5-15 et street. I just took turns at slow speeds but was fine.

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 8:39 PM
you can drive it with a welded diff on the street, paul did. you just gotta take wide sweeping turn's is all.

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Tuesday, February 05, 2013 8:53 PM
Brad did he ever break anything? Just curious a few people out by me have done the same with poor luck. Maybe its a combination of shoddy welding and other factors but on a dd, I'd stick to inserts and posi's without first hand experience.

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 9:46 PM
Well ive found nothing but back and fourth bickeri g about the obx lsd... some take it apart some dont... that would be all well and good if i knew what i was doing haha... and the tg insert sounds like the best option so far...problem is finding someone that know how to install it haha... i plan on tempting fate and seing how far the stock shafts will go... i hope they hold up to my power goals...
Tuesday, February 05, 2013 10:29 PM
ecotecnik wrote:Well ive found nothing but back and fourth bickeri g about the obx lsd... some take it apart some dont... that would be all well and good if i knew what i was doing haha... and the tg insert sounds like the best option so far...problem is finding someone that know how to install it haha... i plan on tempting fate and seing how far the stock shafts will go... i hope they hold up to my power goals...

when the shafts go, they go. be prepared to replace them.

I snapped one like a twig on the 1-2 shift and the car was all motor.

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 11:11 PM
Well in the stock defense i beat the snot out of my car... not so much as in burnouts or massive launches but i do race alot and i launch and slam gears and they have held up amazing... even did a few reverse nuts in a parking lot on boost... now i realize that 250 ish hp compared to 400 is alot different but id rather stock pile stock cv's than spend the money on drive shaft shop ones... ive heard of a few ppl maki g lots of power with the stock axels... i was told the splines break often which would suck...
Tuesday, February 05, 2013 11:17 PM
Also ive been thinking about this all night and i went from a 195/50/15 to a 215/45/17 which diameter wise is qwite a difference and i didnt notice that much of a difference... now in the 2 videos both cars seem to run the 1/4 out at over 140... thats gotta be a huge ass tire to gain 20 mph in fouth gear... now i understand rpm and tire diameter would improve the top speed that is just a huge jump... im guessing im gonna need about 125-130 to run out the 1/4 i hope... i just know getting into 5th gear would be the end of my fresh build...

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 4:20 PM
what the hell do you have done to your car that you think you're going to trap 125+ mph?

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 5:32 PM
welded stock diff and stock axles here running gsp replacement axles be prepared to change broken axles lol

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)
Wednesday, February 06, 2013 5:42 PM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) v2.0 wrote:what the hell do you have done to your car that you think you're going to trap 125+ mph?

hopes and dreams sorry OP i had to lol good luck with the build and stay positive even if you dont meet your goals or if stuff just goes crappy cause your car is anything like mine it is going to fight you the whole time

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 7:25 PM
Im pretty sure 400 hp is gonna trap qwite fast... im trapping 108-109 with whatever power i have now goin big so i can trailor it home
Wednesday, February 06, 2013 9:01 PM
so you're going to gain another 15mph? damn dude. good luck.

if I were you, i'd worry about the first 1/8 rather than the top end. hook it up and just rev the engine out. you can always gear the car with the roll-out of the tire.

if you want gearing options, there isn't really any simple solutions... gonna need to swap the final drive out of the cobalt XFE for taller gearing

or, use the final drive from a saturn vue for shorter gearing

I don't recall any j-bodies trapping that high with that little horsepower. you're going to be in the 500 neighborhood for 120mph+

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 10:44 PM
The trans is gonna be apart for the lsd or the insert anyways.... i kinda wanna try the obx just cause its a true lsd not just an insert but eother way the trans will be apart so id rather tackle the gearing then instead of waiting... idc what it traps i mean we were just guestimating as long as its a strong mid 11's car ill be happy...
Thursday, February 07, 2013 1:00 AM
my point is don't worry too much about trap speeds until you get it to the track a few times.

once you're hooked and going, you'll figure out the top end later.

mid 11s should happen on just a tiny bit faster than what you're trapping now.

what kinda tires you using?

if you stepped down to a 15 or even a 16 in front, you could get a little more sidewall and get some better initial bite out of the tire.

Thursday, February 07, 2013 2:41 AM
Well i ran 13.4@108 on 215/40/17 continental tires and had like a 2.4 60ft... i plan on buying 235/45/17 but i dont think they are gonna fit without a spacer... im trying to get as wide of a tread as i can for the street tires.. i went to the track 3 times with dr's and it rained every time in october.... i cant imagine me being much more than 225 hp now im gonna try and dyno next week if i can trailor the car to the dyno...
Thursday, February 07, 2013 3:13 AM
I know this only really applies for drag racing, but width isn't the only thing you want... it's a bit of give in the sidewall

the wrinkle of the tire will help to launch the car forward.. kind of like a slick effect but to a much lesser degree. it's tough to get straight line grip with low profile tires because they're low profile.

235 45 should help, but if you have the option to.. stepping up to a 50 series tire may help a lot.

or, buy specific drag radial tires in 17" and see how they do. They're made with a softer compound so that may compensate for the lack of give in the sidewall. I used to run BFG g-force drag radials and drive with them on the street. they used to pick up rocks and stuff all the time. great tire when I had them. No clue of how they are now..

I was running 225 50 r 15. best 60' I ever cut was 1.98. used to hit 2.1s all the time.
the car was all motor

Thursday, February 07, 2013 11:05 AM
I would go 50 but i dont think a 45 will fit.. as of now im still stock suspension obviously thats all changing with this build but i need tires now and no use waiting to gain traction..

Thursday, February 07, 2013 11:12 AM
Get a set of the MH street slicks mounted on steelies they work real good and def need something other then stock suspension

Thursday, February 07, 2013 12:29 PM
yea im gonna get agx adjustables and k sport springs... prothane bushings towers bars and prob a k frame brace... the cars mostly a street driven car so i need a tire that i dont have to replace once a month... i honestly dont think id do much racing on the street with that much power.. around here no one has that fast of a car... so i just need a tire that wont self destruct when my foot goes down... i meant 400hp is pre meditated murder for those poor tires...i just need boost by gear
Thursday, February 07, 2013 1:24 PM
Ya know John,

I have sen you posting a lot lately with good things.... how come no pictures?????

Thursday, February 07, 2013 3:08 PM
Pics of what? My build? I just bought my rods and pistons last week and im getting the lsj head next week as well as the supertech springs... im still in the learning and first stages... but everyone knows what rods n pistons look like so mo need to post those and a bare block lol...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search