Swap auto trans to manual - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Swap auto trans to manual
Sunday, October 27, 2013 11:12 PM
I was wondering what all it takes to swap my auto transmission to a 5 speed manual. My ride is a 2003 Sunfire

Re: Swap auto trans to manual
Monday, October 28, 2013 12:09 AM
I am going to guess the easiest way would be to cut the auto mout off and weld in the 2 manual ones since I do believe the mounts are thier. Then you need the engine harness, interior harnes, bcm and PCM. That's would be it I guess besides a clutch axles and shifter. Also would need a clutch pedal, brake pedal, shifter, console. Pretty much everything your car doesn't have. Should all be bolt . You may have to drill the holes for the clutch. I never did a manual swap on a 3rd gen. I am sure there is a how to.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Monday, October 28, 2013 1:16 AM
Rob Dotterer wrote:I am going to guess the easiest way would be to cut the auto mout off and weld in the 2 manual ones since I do believe the mounts are thier. Then you need the engine harness, interior harnes, bcm and PCM. That's would be it I guess besides a clutch axles and shifter. Also would need a clutch pedal, brake pedal, shifter, console. Pretty much everything your car doesn't have. Should all be bolt . You may have to drill the holes for the clutch. I never did a manual swap on a 3rd gen. I am sure there is a how to.

Close.
You do need to cut off (drill out spot welds) the auto mount and weld on the manual mounts. Front mount can be gotten from TTR, rear mount has to come from GM.
You will need a 5 speed harness (or convert yours) and PCM, but you do not need to replace the BCM, it has nothing to do with the transmission.
Don't forget when you get your flywheel, make sure you buy NEW flywheel bolts as they are torque to yield and should not be reused.
Other than, Rob covered it correctly. When you cut the holes for the master cylinder, measure 3x cut once. And there is a thread in this forum with a step by step and tons of great pics, measurements for placing the weld in mounts, etc.. I used it the first maybe 2 times I did the swap for someone.

Monday, October 28, 2013 3:33 AM
You can use your auto harness. I currently am. Don't think there's a difference between my 99 and the 03+ Other than parts for ecos.
Have to splice in speedometer plug and reverse lights and connect the wires for the neutral safety switch or put them together and bypass it. That's the only wiring needed.
Monday, October 28, 2013 3:35 AM
You can also run your auto ecu I believe. I am. It's nice cause the car idles lower than 900 like the manuals do
Monday, October 28, 2013 8:44 AM
We make the front bracket for the conversion.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Friday, December 06, 2013 3:11 PM
If the car is stock, maybe just a few bolt-ons, buy a 5-speed and sell the auto. 5-speeds are blue booked cheaper than automatics anyways. After all the swap work is done, it would have been cheaper and easier to buy one, not to mention save you the labor, and headache. Plus the money you'd have invested in the 5-speed swap items, you can use for more go-fast parts. Just what i would do.

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"
Friday, February 21, 2014 8:13 AM
I am actually considering swapping my 2004 manual to an auto. Am I correct in understanding that all I would need is an automatic transmission plus the mounts, the shifter and auto cables, the PCM and a little fabrication to update the transmission mounts? Forgive my ignorance, but what does this "harness" consist of? Also, where is the PCM located? Thanks guys.

Friday, February 21, 2014 8:24 AM
Oh, and I would probably need the axles, right?

Friday, May 30, 2014 12:00 AM
where is the thread to the full swap with pics? im too new lol
Friday, May 30, 2014 6:49 AM
It's in the library under transmission

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Sedan 2.2l Ecotec 4 Speed Auto.

Thursday, March 26, 2015 9:13 PM
My chevy dealer charges $105.00 to flash your ecm for the conversion. Not too bad really.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I NEED TO TUNE MY CAR?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search