Ralco RZ Short Shifter Review - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ralco RZ Short Shifter Review
Tuesday, July 22, 2014 9:50 AM
I recently purchased a Ralco RZ short shifter, and I love it. At $56 USD off Amazon it's a bargain. All of the parts are high quality and have some weight to them. Instead of having a plastic main pivot point, like the factory one, this one is all metal. The kit comes with all the seals and O-rings you need, along with a metal reverse lock-out collar. The installation was pretty simple, but it did take some time. I had to adjust the cables a bit from stock, but that was expected with a new shifter. The shifter doesn't come with installation instructions, however Ralco RZ has great customer support if you need it. For a smaller unknown company, they have the best customer support I've encountered. I'm very pleased with this short shifter in my 2005 Sunfire, and I think this is one of the best upgrades I have done so far. The shifter provides easy gated shifts and when adjusted properly the reverse lock-out collar functions as it should. The stock shifter feels more like you're scraping into gears, whereas with this shifter you feel like it just clicks into gear. It is more firm because of the weight so it feels a lot less sloppy. The only modification I had to make to install it was having to grind the edges of the circlip for the pin so it would fit between the pin and the plastic of the assembly. I didn't have to use the white pivot that comes on the bottom ball-joint. I'm not sure if the shifter saying it is for 00-03 Sunfires has anything to do with it or not. Unlike some shifters this one even comes with a weighted shift knob, which is good because you can't reuse the stock one. So for anyone out there with a jbody looking for a short shifter I hope this review will help you since there aren't many on the market. http://www.amazon.com/Ralco-RZ-914836-Short-Shifters/dp/B000UWWXTY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406046822&sr=8-1&keywords=914836 This is the short shifter I purchased so you can find it easily.
Attachments
20140718_193521.jpg (250k)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search