5 speed hard to shift, what trans do I have? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
5 speed hard to shift, what trans do I have?
Sunday, January 04, 2015 8:59 PM
Hey all I have a 99 z24, 132k miles basically stock, I know the ld9 well but iv always had second gens so idk what Trans I have?

Also it's very stuff shifting, and getting into first even when warm, reverse grinds when trying to go in, I'm thinking it's low on fluid, I know it takes 2-2.5q but what fluid is best for it?

Re: 5 speed hard to shift, what trans do I have?
Monday, January 05, 2015 6:00 PM
99 should be an Isuzu.

Does it shift easy when the car is turned off?

Tuesday, January 06, 2015 2:22 PM
5 speed Isuzu takes Synromesh. 2 quarts. Drain it and then fill with 2 quarts.

Those shift cables are bad on stretching causing shifting issues.

FU Tuning

Saturday, February 14, 2015 9:15 AM
strat81 wrote:99 should be an Isuzu.

Does it shift easy when the car is turned off?

What's the name for that Trans like iv hear f23 model Getrag ect...... Is there a better Trans I can put in this car with little modification???

It shifts a lot easier when it's not running, well turns out over a few days I lost all clutch pedal, not leaking fluid.... Start in gear pedal down car moves in assuming the slave or clutch went, I got everything to do it I posted a few questions in a diff thread thanks tho
Thursday, February 19, 2015 8:37 AM
Tyler Howland wrote:What's the name for that Trans like iv hear f23 model Getrag ect...... Is there a better Trans I can put in this car with little modification???
The model number for that exact transmission is the Isuzu/GM MR8. As for a better transmission, it's generally accepted around here that swapping to the F23 is an upgrade from the MR8. Search "F23 swap" in this forum, and you should find the info on the swap.

You can upgrade the MR8 using early 90's Isuzu components from an Isuzu Stylus or Geo Storm, as they used better synchros and stronger differential carriers. There are a few threads in this forum with a lot of that information as well. This is my personal recomendation, as you are not only building a much stronger transmission, but you have options for customizing your gear ratios as well.

Thursday, February 19, 2015 10:39 PM
Regardless what ur told, 75/90 isnt the same grade as synchromesh f.y.I. Figured might help some ppl

ReD RaiN
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search