2001 2.2 5 speed questions - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2001 2.2 5 speed questions
Monday, July 13, 2015 11:37 AM
I have 01 cavi 2200 5 speed 3rd gear synchro is out of it I called part store they said there were 3 diffrent tram us how do I tell which one I have when I did clutch it is a plastic slave cylnder with about 1 inch quick connect where line goes to it but I have no idea how to tell what type of tranny I have in general how hard are they to rebuild I've rebuilt engines before and am pretty mechanically inclined and could do tranny swap in one day if I could rebuild it in one day as it is my only car and go to school

Re: 2001 2.2 5 speed questions
Monday, July 13, 2015 11:50 AM
There's only one manual transmission option for that year, the other 2 are automatics. Yours is a 5-speed f23 getrag; I forget what part of the VIN corresponds to that. Honestly, those transmissions can be had relatively cheap from junkyards. It may be a better option to just get a new one and swap it in.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, July 13, 2015 11:51 AM
Getrag f23

I'd recommend getting a second one from a boneyard and a fresh slave for it. they aren't much money

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Monday, July 13, 2015 4:18 PM
my car has 200000 on it and i called and they have ones with 220000 and 250000 for 200 im gonna try to find a cheaper one i ended up finding the model on it thanks for input
Tuesday, July 14, 2015 4:10 AM
Just food for thought, I make probably close to 300hp at the crank and I beat on it daily. I blew my original trans up at the track (which was totally my fault) and replaced it with one from the junkyard with 190k miles on it. Shifts perfectly, and continues to take abuse like it's brand new. These are actually pretty good little transmissions and unless someone like me really really ragged on it they don't go bad. Luckily, it's not like you're trying to find a transmission from a supra or an sti that's a guaranteed victim of abuse. Most of these transmissions are granny shifted for their whole life and it shows when you grab one cheap with high miles.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, July 14, 2015 5:42 AM
^ yup

That and it's really hard for a stock ln2 (most junkyard cars are stock) to hurt a trans. Just not enough power lol

My last turbo setup was using a trans I bought within 175k on it. I made somewhere north of 350whp for a year then we'll over 400whp I'm sure for another year. Trans started to show fatigue only after a long time of ass kicking and only over like 6700rpm when shifting.

*anyone with an l61/ld9 and f23 I recommend buying an ln2 trans abs swapping the bell, the ln2 theoretically will have seen less stress*

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search