BM Shift Plus? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
BM Shift Plus?
Tuesday, August 17, 2010 10:54 AM
Ok, I know this, there are sensors/other electronic dodads on the transmission that control how and when it shifts. I'm having my trans rebuilt right now (he should be getting to it in a week or so). Since I'm having it rebuilt as regular as you can get it, would installing aftermarket sensors and modules, like the shiftplus every one talks about, have any positive effect? Also, I'm assuming that its true that an OE trans isn't good for more than 150hp. I'm assuming again that it will have to be rebuilt with a performance rebuild kit if I wanted to try and add power to the engine. The cars is faster than it drives any way, It would just be easy to do it now if its a good thing to do. It needs some good money put into the suspension so I can catch the handling up with the power. Also, DumB newbie question, waht the hell is the CV Axle referred to as at the parts shop.

...buy me a camera...

Re: BM Shift Plus?
Tuesday, August 17, 2010 11:13 AM
Never mind about the CV's NAPA covered it.

...buy me a camera...
Friday, August 20, 2010 10:23 PM
That Shift-Plus doodad is junk... All it does is trick the ECM into raising the line-pressure (What forces the parts inside the trans to apply). Better-off getting your shift-points reprogrammed by a good tuner with HP-Tuner or EFI-Live or even Tunercat software.

And if you really feel you need a stronger wear-parts (Clutches & bands) for your trans to live, I recommend Art Carr kevlar pieces. A friend had a '87 GN with a few add-ons that ran 11.80s in the 1/4, and the damn 200-4R kept breaking. Broke once when he got it, and broke again after the rebuild. In the second rebuild, the shop that rebuilt it before installed Art Carr kevlar clutches & bands. It lived happily ever-after from then-on, shifting so firmly that even under light throttle it would bark the tires & get sideways. (That's a hard shift!)

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Saturday, August 21, 2010 4:01 PM
calling the shift-plus junk is a bit extreme.

Saturday, August 21, 2010 10:11 PM
blucavvy wrote:calling the shift-plus junk is a bit extreme.

Compared to what HPTuners can do it is.

Saturday, August 21, 2010 10:29 PM
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:
blucavvy wrote:calling the shift-plus junk is a bit extreme.

Compared to what HPTuners can do it is.

Thank-you for the back-up.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Sunday, August 22, 2010 8:40 PM
Its a good addition for the price, although a bit clunky. HPtuners is much better though and smoother. If i didnt have HPtuners I would buy the shift plus again or hook up the old one if i can find it.

Monday, August 23, 2010 4:25 PM
Zs Z wrote:Its a good addition for the price, although a bit clunky. HPtuners is much better though and smoother. If i didnt have HPtuners I would buy the shift plus again or hook up the old one if i can find it.

thank you for the back-up.

yes hptuners is obviously better. but for those of us not interested in ever owning it, or at least waiting awhile to be getting a tune done, the shiftplus is a wonderful little gadget for 30 or 40 bucks.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 5:47 PM
blucavvy wrote:
Zs Z wrote:Its a good addition for the price, although a bit clunky. HPtuners is much better though and smoother. If i didnt have HPtuners I would buy the shift plus again or hook up the old one if i can find it.

thank you for the back-up.

yes hptuners is obviously better. but for those of us not interested in ever owning it, or at least waiting awhile to be getting a tune done, the shiftplus is a wonderful little gadget for 30 or 40 bucks.

Your welcome, i certainly agree

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 8:14 AM
Sorry boys, but having taken auto-trans service class for ASE-cert & helping a friend install an actual shift-kit in his GN's 200-4R... It's hard to agree about the worth of something that costs even that much yet does something so minimal. Now, if it allowed various shifting programs to select from on the fly--Much like the Jet Industries 6-pk chip-set for the '87-'95 GM CK-pickups & G-series vans w/TBI 350 V-8--that would be something.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:47 PM
Not saying its gods gift to transmissions but it does what its intended to do, make the trans shift harder. Nothing less nothing more.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:44 PM
Zs Z wrote:Not saying its gods gift to transmissions but it does what its intended to do, make the trans shift harder. Nothing less nothing more.

w3rd. i'm very satisfied with what it did for 30 bucks.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 10:36 PM
Yeah, I really liked the Shift Plus until I got boosted and then we put on a good tune and did the shift points at the same time, it was better with an actual tune, but I wouldnt buy HPT just for what ShiftPlus or Autotrans does for way less.. Its worth the money if you dont want to tune the car for anything else, It made my car more fun to drive for a while. Worth 40 bucks or so.

Saturday, August 28, 2010 2:23 PM
I'll probably grab one for the trans I'm getting rebuilt, going for tunning and hi-friction kevlar clutches is a bit much right now lol. I won't be adding any power to the drivetrain before I redo the suspension. I've been looking around here though, getting a new j out of the junkyard in coupe and finding the engine and trans I want would be a quicker way to a quicker car I think. I had to get an auto for my fiancee to drive . still, I've managed to find like 2500 in replacement parts for de brown four door lol. Thanks for the input guys!

...buy me a camera...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search