Time for a rebuild or am I missing something small? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Time for a rebuild or am I missing something small?
Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:37 PM
So here's the scoop... 98 Sunfire. 2200 SFI engine 3T40 trans. (Engine 46,000 mi on rebuild and trans 173,000 mi never rebuilt but regularly maintained.)
CEL - Something about no communication for rear o2 sensor (probably because I got rid of mine when I removed the cat) can't remember exact code. No other codes stored.

I have had insane shift issues for the last few weeks. It started as a sloppy shift from 2nd to 3rd (final drive), got worse and worse to the point where it would rev to the redline before shifting and ended up with no 3rd at all. I have flushed the trans, replaced the filter, replaced the throttle valve control cable (which was damaged) and am pretty much out of ideas.

I DON'T HAVE THE $900 - $2200 its going to cost to get this thing rebuilt.

Any last hopes for me before I take out a loan to get this damn thing fixed? Something simple I may have overlooked? Its my only car and I travel 1000+ miles a week for school and work. (College student and work at Subway, not making big bucks here...lol)

----

Re: Time for a rebuild or am I missing something small?
Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:39 PM
@#$%... forgot to subscribe to my own thread... lol

----

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:18 PM
go to a junkyard and buy a trans there a lot cheaper
Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:35 PM
Alas, I am no longer graced with the required equipment to install the transmission. I had a much larger garage before I moved... now I have no garage.

----

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:47 PM
Anyone know if the bands in the 3T40 like to take a crap? I know my 98 Buick Century had that issue, and I am pretty sure they have the same transmission.

----

Re: Time for a rebuild or am I missing something small? (VIDEO)
Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:08 AM
[URL=http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg299/tylerbelcher/?action=view¤t=MOV_0080.mp4][/URL]

Click for video.

----

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:09 AM
oops... CLICK for video

----

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 11:49 AM
http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg299/tylerbelcher/?action=view¤t=MOV_0080.mp4

Screw it... linkys not working for some reason.

----

Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:13 AM
You have other codes in there, the CEL would not be flashing if you didn't... That flashing CEL means you have a class A misfire.

fix your engine performance issue FIRST... then go after the trans if its still causing issues.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:08 PM
Dude... CEL isn't flashing... that is my DRL indicator flashing because I have HIDs and forgot to ground the wire after I snipped it.... look at that light shape and color again. lol

----

Friday, February 18, 2011 11:19 AM
Road To Change wrote:Dude... CEL isn't flashing... that is my DRL indicator flashing because I have HIDs and forgot to ground the wire after I snipped it.... look at that light shape and color again. lol

Video is so blurry I cant tell what it looks like... Now that you say that I can sort of tell that it resembles the DRL indicator, but hard to say if i did not know what it was.

Plus on my monitor that things looks yellow, not green.

Friday, February 18, 2011 11:25 AM
And in your problems case... a TSB...

A/T - Delayed/Slow or No Second to Third Gear Upshift

File In Section: 7 - Transmission

Bulletin No.: 87-71-66

Date: May, 1998

Subject:
Delayed, Slow or No Second to Third Gear Upshift
(Replace the Case Cover Assembly or Transmission Assembly)

Models:
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
1998 Pontiac Sunfire
with HYDRA-MATIC 3T4O Transaxle/Transmission (RPO MD9)

Condition

Some owners outside of the recall population may comment on a delayed, slow or no second to third gear upshift.

Cause

This condition may be caused by a fluid pressure leak between the driven sprocket support and the case cover assembly.

Correction

To repair this condition the case cover assembly or the transmission assembly must be replaced.

Service Information Procedure

1. Verify the customer concern.

2. Check the transmission fluid for proper level.

3. Use the fluid color chart to determine the appropriate repair procedure.

Transmission Fluid Checking Procedure

Diagnosing Transmission Fluid by Color -

Basically if the fluid is not light or dark brown, likely this is your issue. If it is light or dark brown, there is clutch material in it and your in for a rebuild anyway

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search