98 Isuzu quick question - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
98 Isuzu quick question
Saturday, May 14, 2011 2:47 PM
I believe I read that the isuzu 1st and reverse are not synchronized right? My dad was driving my car and tried to shift into 1st and it grinds. He usually drives his Saturn SW2 and it dosen't do this. I believe I read somewhere that the Isuzu is not synchronized, but now I can't find that info. Thanks in advance for the answer

Re: 98 Isuzu quick question
Saturday, May 14, 2011 3:08 PM
Reverse is not synchronized, but 1st through 5th are. You're synchros are just dieing like most Isuzu synchros do.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Saturday, May 14, 2011 6:43 PM
mine did same once....but its 1st, dont use it unless from full stop, it's ok to ride it a little bit in 2nd if you're rolling slow

Sunday, May 15, 2011 8:32 PM
Haha nice maybe thats why I got the car so cheap cause they already replaced the transmission
Wednesday, May 25, 2011 8:29 PM
So now the transmission is making a whine in the lower gears pretty much all the time. Dipstick said it was between add and full, and it looks like they used engine oil. Should I drain this and fill with ATF and some Lucas? Or am I pretty much SOL and hope this lasts until I can afford something better?
Wednesday, May 25, 2011 8:34 PM
Do NOT put ATF in a manual transmission. Hydraulic fluid =/= gear oil. These transmissions hate anything but GM Synchromesh.

The sound you are hearing is the sound of your bearings dieing.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:46 PM
What color is synchromesh?
Sunday, May 29, 2011 8:01 PM
Transporter7220 wrote:Do NOT put ATF in a manual transmission.

that's a rather sweeping generalization there. the 00+ getrag manual trans came with atf from the factory. however, you are right, the isuzu loves synchromesh and nothing but.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Sunday, May 29, 2011 9:43 PM
Oh rly?....

That just seems like a bad idea, being that gear old and hydraulic oil are two very different liquids.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search