painting rims - what paint? - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
painting rims - what paint?
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 6:18 PM
I have a set of niche rims for my car. They are silver right now but I would like to paint them white.

I have looked into getting them powdercoated but they have a chrome lip on them that would be an issue for the powdercoater. I want to keep the chrome lip the way it is.

Any suggestions on the types of primer / paint / clear to use? I would like any imput but especially if you have done this. I do have a spraybooth and guns... I would rather not rattle can these.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats as good as they are going to feel all day. ~ Dean Martin

Re: painting rims - what paint?
Friday, February 25, 2005 8:48 AM
they should be able to powder coat them and still leave the chrome lip. There is a guy that owns a red lexus and had his wheels powdercoated the same color, and he still has the chrome lip. Powder coating them will last longer then paint, and it will be cheaper.

dan

Monday, February 28, 2005 11:55 AM
Thats what I thought as well.. I would much rather powdercoat them, I'm sure they would look good painted at first but I don't want to have to re-do it every year. Maybe I need to talk to another powdercoating shop before I totally dismiss the idea.

Thanks for the imput.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats as good as they are going to feel all day. ~ Dean Martin

Monday, February 28, 2005 12:17 PM
well, put it this way ... they powder coat headers, exhaust (if you want), calipers .. pretty much everything. The process they use is just a kiln (kinda the same one they used in elementry/middle school when we sculpted our clay cups. They basically just bake the color on.

dan

Monday, February 28, 2005 12:23 PM
Powder Coating 101

"I count him braver who overcomes his
desires than him who conquers his enemies.
For the hardest victory is the victory over self."
- Aristotle

Monday, February 28, 2005 12:38 PM
http://www.speedoptions.com/articles/4609/

places in my city want 100 bucks to power coat a set of wheels, kinda steep, but its a very nice product. i don't have that kinda money at the money to drop on wheels so i linked a good article to just painting wheels with spray paint.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 1:43 PM
coldfusion ,
You call $100 bucks for a set of wheels in your area steep to be powdercoated? There are tons of members on here that would love to find that price for a set. I paid $300 for all four of mine and I have been told I got a good deal.

Proud member of JBOK (J-bodies of Kentucky)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search