will this rub? - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
will this rub?
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 4:55 PM
I am thinking of getting 17x7 wheels with a 40mm offset. I went to Wild Weasel's web site to check what size tires to put on them and the ones that would mess up me speedo the least would be 245/40/17. Now my question is since this tire width is 245 and my original tire is 195/70/14 will the tire rub? Should I pick a different tire size? Also What % can the speedo be off because this tire will make it .1% off.

If You Can't Dazzle Them With Brilliance Baffle Them With Bullsh*t

Re: will this rub?
Thursday, March 03, 2005 1:09 AM
Your best bet would be 225/45-17. It'll be a VERY minor difference in overall diameter of wheel and tire. In fact, i think it's only a fraction of 1 mph different. 225/45-17 is what I recommend for any J-body driver running 17x7 wheels. If you would like to check this yourself, compare it with any of the stock sizes here:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

It's a tire-size calculator; ignore the fact that it says Miata at the top, because that applies to any tire sizes.

Suck, squish, bang, blow... muahahahaha!!
Thursday, March 03, 2005 10:52 AM
Yeah, 225/45/17 or 215/45/17 are both acceptable. I recommend the 225's for performance tires. A 205/50/17 is fine as well, though you'd really only want those if you were using them for winter or something and they're not so easy to come by.

245 is too wide.

Thursday, March 03, 2005 11:43 AM
Thanks guys for the help!

If You Can't Dazzle Them With Brilliance Baffle Them With Bullsh*t
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search