daily driver w/ rims - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
daily driver w/ rims
Monday, March 21, 2005 3:01 PM
i have the stock 15" rims right now. I want to get a different set, but i do not know which size i should get. I have seen quite a few with 19s and some w 18s, but how would they hold aon a daily driver (100+ miles per day). I have also seen that the bigger you get the more rotating mass you have makes you loos MPG, but i also want to add performance parts also, so i am not to worried about that as long as it doesn't drop avg mpg 7 or so . thanks guys

Re: daily driver w/ rims
Monday, March 21, 2005 3:52 PM
Really just depends on the conditions of the roads you travel. A 19" wheel will have a 35 series tire which isn't much rubber. If the roads aren't real great you might be safer going with an 18" wheel and 40 series tires.

J-body of Kentucky
Monday, March 21, 2005 7:21 PM
Don't even bother with 19's man, that's alotta wheel to push daily.
Look at some 17's or 18's.

I bought 17's and yeah sometimes I wonder if I should of got 18's for the look
of it but the moment I hit a pothole I realize why I got 17's haha

Monday, March 21, 2005 7:25 PM
Quote:

Don't even bother with 19's man, that's alotta wheel to push daily.

No its not

Monday, March 21, 2005 7:26 PM
I agree, the condition of the roads are a main factor.. I went with 19's, but I don't have pothole issue's at all.. Plus later on, the 19's will compliment the airbags rather nicely..

Also, if tire cost is a concern.. 19 inch tires are on the pricey side, and you have less options versus 18's...

"If life throws you a curve, pop the clutch and drift it!"
Monday, March 21, 2005 8:30 PM
i have noticed the price difference w/ 19's but then again they are 19's. The road i travel is interstate and some side raods, which are not bad at all. If i drive through/around town i am usually pretty cautious anyways about the potholes.

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 2:24 AM
dcjes wrote: but then again they are 19's.

I know exactly what you mean..
I'd say, if the price of tires aren't a concern, then go for it.. I doubt you'll regret it..

"If life throws you a curve, pop the clutch and drift it!"
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 6:19 AM
by chance does anyone know the weight of the stock rims....15" or 16"....just curios because i want to know how much difference there is between stock and say 19's

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 9:48 AM
well if you get 19's the mpg is going to drop. not that much only like 2-3 mpg. i want to do 19's myself but if i do, i will also do a big brake kit with it.

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 12:54 PM
Quote:

by chance does anyone know the weight of the stock rims....15" or 16"....just curios because i want to know how much difference there is between stock and say 19's

Steel or mags? I have the stock wheel in 14' and it weighs about 28lbs.

My 16' Motegi MR7's weigh in at 34 lbs with tire
My 18' Motegi FF5's weigh in at 47 lbs with tire just to give you an idea. Motegi does make some heavy wheels though (not for racing by any means)

My Sunbird.... Still has some attitude
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 12:58 PM
Crap crap, forgot to add that once you get 18's if you see 19's on a cavy/fire you may want 19's 18 and 19 inch wheels both look great though but 18's are a little more comfortable as there is more tire on the rim (if you do it properly).

My Sunbird.... Still has some attitude

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 2:03 PM
holy crap motegi's are heavy.....i was actually looking at motegi...maybe i will try and a find another set, that maybe weighs a little less....

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 7:18 PM
I just puts 18's on my car. I had been running the stock 16" tire size all winter. Doesnt make any sense but my car actually rides smoother now than it did with the 16's and I've heard from multiple people that there car rides better with 19's than it did with 18's. And yes my car is a daily driver, I put probably around 400 miles a week on my car

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 11:39 PM
I will say after running 17 inch wheels in the cav for 2 years moving to 19s produced a much harder ride. The sidewall make a big difference there isnt much cushion there for shock basically I have hit places where the bridge and street arent event and it sounds like the front end is going to explode. One of these days I am going to hit something and the damn windshield will shatter...it feels that hard sometimes. Gotta change my driving habits BIG TIME..But I love the look of 19s on air and want to get it badly

Thursday, March 24, 2005 8:51 PM
I love my 18' excel rs gt's . I only lost maybe 1 mpg. but i drive like a dick. so ive always averaged 20-25mpg depending on my "driving mood". And i drive 350+ miles a week. I never had any other rims i went from 14's straight to 18''s.

Friday, March 25, 2005 6:11 PM
99 z24 rim w 205/55-16 44 lbs
95+ sunfire 5 spoke 15 inch with 205/50-15 34 lbs
04 ls sport with 205/55-16 39 lbs
konig holes 16x7 w 225/50-16 38 lbs

theres some of the wheels+tires i have owned and personally weighed.

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search