I just go mags+tires - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I just go mags+tires
Monday, April 11, 2005 6:46 AM
my question is they are 215/45/17 inch tires... what pressure are they supposed to be at when i am verifying and filling them up with air.. on the tire it says MAX 44 PSI... but at normal levels how much... 35?? like it was on my stock tires (15 inch)???

Re: I just go mags+tires
Monday, April 11, 2005 7:56 AM
Check the inside of your door. The recommended PSI for tires on Cav's is 30PSI.

I may not know much about cars, but I know two things....
1) Breaking things is expensive, and
2) Horsepower isn't cheap.
Monday, April 11, 2005 8:06 AM
First off, NEVER inflate them to the indicated max. That is the maximum safe pressure... and pressure increases when you drive and they warm up so if you inflate them to that, they will exceed it when you drive.

Secondly, the recommended pressure listed on the door is valid only for the stock tire size on a stock car. You're going to have to experiment a little to find out what works best for your setup.

On that size tire, I recommend starting with 35 psi and then adjusting from there.

I've settled on 37 psi for my 225/40/18's so 35 will likely be right for you. If you find too much play in the sidewalls for your liking, go up 1 or 2 psi. If you notice uneven wear with the inside wearing more than the outside of the contact patch, drop down 1 or 2 psi.

Monday, April 11, 2005 8:10 AM
thanx alot guys...
so ill try with 35...
Monday, April 11, 2005 3:14 PM
Yea no need to go with indicated max on the sidewall... thats goin to ride VERY harsh. It would exceed that pressure when warmed up like weasel said. But thats no big deal if you WERE to run 44. Its only the recomended COLD pressure... So they DID take into account the heating up factor.... It would be safe, if thats where you found it good for you.

But I think 35-38 psi would be best. Also again, like weasel says, never follow the door placard with aftermarket wheels. Those recommendations are for what is listed on the door ONLY. Just try 35, its really goin to depend on how it feels to you, and where you like to run them. Hard or soft will also depend on what you do with the car. Daily driven, lap car, drag car... its really goin to depend on what feels best to you. 35 -38 is a good starting point.. A few ppl run 40 psi on there low profile tires to help "prevent" bent rim sindrome. Which is unavoidable anyways... eventually.

Draggin' That A**
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search