I wonder what racing in these would be like??? - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I wonder what racing in these would be like???
Tuesday, May 24, 2005 12:01 PM
Not sure if this should be here or in photo & media..

these are too cool... if its a repost.. sorry

I wonder.....

Re: I wonder what racing in these would be like???
Tuesday, May 24, 2005 12:36 PM
I don't know.... they look crappy to me. It seems to me like the industry took a step back in time to this.....

....now all I need is a horse

Jay

One huge aluminum wing - $200
More vinyl graphics than your ride can handle - $150
Decals for products you don’t even have - $10
500lbs of Car Audio equipment in the trunk - $1500
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Getting slaughtered by a KIA - Priceless
Tuesday, May 24, 2005 1:11 PM
^^^^

my thing with these is winter.... imagine snow builing up in there.. white walls!

i wonder about severe braking.... and burnouts... I bet they woud rip apart.

ahhh you have to love it when engineers/designers should be focusing on real problems and not trying to reinvent the wheel.... BTW... i'm a designer too... and at times try to re-invent the wheel, light bulb, and sliced bread

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 4:02 PM
yep repost......ewww ugly

Not unintentionally accelerating since 2009!!!!

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 6:16 PM
Modfire wrote:
ahhh you have to love it when engineers/designers should be focusing on real problems and not trying to reinvent the wheel....

that wheel does address a real problem, so a comment like that is short sighted and insulting to people who call themselves engineers.

there are many people out there who would like to have tires they don't need to inflate or worry about tire pressure, people who really wished their suv's tires didn't blow out causing their vehicle to roll, just a thought you know? not everything is designed and built for performance, convienience is actually why alot of things are invented.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 8:27 PM
mans got a point.

some of the simplest concepts are used in many military advantages of this country.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 9:10 PM
Cherub (AZ) wrote:
Modfire wrote:
ahhh you have to love it when engineers/designers should be focusing on real problems and not trying to reinvent the wheel....

that wheel does address a real problem, so a comment like that is short sighted and insulting to people who call themselves engineers.

there are many people out there who would like to have tires they don't need to inflate or worry about tire pressure, people who really wished their suv's tires didn't blow out causing their vehicle to roll, just a thought you know? not everything is designed and built for performance, convienience is actually why alot of things are invented.

i love how you completely ignored my next line.....

"BTW... i'm a designer too... and at times try to re-invent the wheel, light bulb, and sliced bread "

and i'm well aware that not everything is built for performance.... but then again these tires are... they are designed and egineered to perform better than ones with air.

and besides... not all things designed or engineered have any benifit nor are any good... Azteks to ebay coilovers... you get my drift

i to commend michelin with the R&D to develop this product.... i just hope that there is a better solution in the future were the products in general will not be "oil" dependant.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 1:18 PM
technically azteks, are beneficial to those who go camping... the extension piece that allows for one to sleep in it... thats VERY beneficial. that car serves its purpose whether people like what it looks like or not.

and ebay coilovers are made for other cars, however with the change of a sticker, you can increase your market while selling the same exact product under false recognition. people who dont do their research usually are the ones that fall for this.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 1:55 PM
LOL this is fun

technically Azteks are good for camping if you wanna spent the extra 1K or so for the attachment... i used to sleep in my old van and my ex's mini van. all we did was buy a $30 air matress. cheaper... and does the same thing. ok ok so the back end didn't look like a tent. but the out come was the same... sleeping the car.

the interior is great i think that its well designed.. but the exterior has got to go... bad design.

well lucky for me i have researched and knew not to get the ebay coils. but even still... like reading here... you get what you pay for right?

Lets face it... there are some good and bad designs/engineering out there.

and

"some of the simplest concepts are used in many military advantages of this country."
i couldn't agree more.

also...

"man has overcome many hurdles while moving forward, and have come up with new advatages in technology during our darkest hours"

you wanna read something exciting? Eye opener

its just information that i think people should know about... way off topic.. but i started the thread so who cares right

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 7:00 PM
on a drag racer i could see some benefits....

like on the launch. On a normal tire, the energy from the wheel to the tread is transfered through the side-wall. We've all seen that slight delay when the dragsters wheel starts moving, the sidewall wrinkles and distorts, and then the tread starts moving. Well on the tweel, the energy from the wheel to the tread is transfered through the spokes. The spokes consist of alot more material than a sidewall which i think would reduce the delay that i mentioned earlier.

and also....
when you watch a dragster from the front or the back its quite obvious that the tire becomes much thinner which in turn make the contact patch smaller, which means less grip. Its because the only thing holding the tread on is the side-wall. like holding a string from its ends. But on the tweel the tread is held on all throughout its width. like holding a string with a whole bunch of hands placed side by side. when the tweel is spinning hella fast it wont get thinner, which means larger contact patch, which means more grip.

alright im done thinking out loud

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 8:29 PM
my guess is that if that tire actually went into production, they would have some type of sidewall to protect the spokes and such.

it's probably sidewall-less for now to show the design off. i'd be more than willing to bet the production piece would look more like a normal tire.

Thursday, May 26, 2005 6:24 AM
Modfire wrote:
Cherub (AZ) wrote:
Modfire wrote:

"BTW... i'm a designer too... and at times try to re-invent the wheel, light bulb, and sliced bread "

and i'm well aware that not everything is built for performance.... but then again these tires are... they are designed and egineered to perform better than ones with air.

and besides... not all things designed or engineered have any benifit nor are any good... Azteks to ebay coilovers... you get my drift

i to commend michelin with the R&D to develop this product.... i just hope that there is a better solution in the future were the products in general will not be "oil" dependant.

I didn't ignore your comment, I felt you did not have an appreciation for true engineering. I make a great destruction between "designer" and "engineer."

Thursday, May 26, 2005 6:35 AM
Cherub (AZ) wrote:
Modfire wrote:
Cherub (AZ) wrote:
Modfire wrote:

I didn't ignore your comment, I felt you did not have an appreciation for true engineering. I make a great destruction between "designer" and "engineer."

i agree with you that there is a big difference between designer and engineers.... I have alot of respect for engineers.

here's a quick run down of both in the simplist of terms...

designers will create something cool but is a pain to mass produce..(lack of engineering... depending on the school attended)

Engineers will create something that will be easy to mass produce and will work out great.. but there will be a lack of design (looks) to it.... depending on the school as well.

the best products out there is when the designer and engineer work together to create something great.

all these tires need is a designers touch LOL

Saturday, May 28, 2005 11:35 PM
whoa thats so weird looking

Sunday, May 29, 2005 11:28 AM
I think it could be a great improvment.

First of all tire pressure is no longer a factor, think about race cars whos tires go thru heat cycles, now imagine that you didnt have to factor in air pressure to those heat cycles, imagine you could say i want the stickiest tire you have and never have to deal with air pressure to get the correct tire patch on the ground and not burn them up in 2 laps.

Better yet its a consistent factor, nothing can change period, you could design them to drag race and take the force of accelration giving them great straight line stability, you could design them for road racing where you corner alomst constantly, letting the tread remain perfectly flat in the corner, not to mention the saftey the system could provide.

I've seen several races where a car throws the tread off a tire, or in some way shreds itself causing horrible accidents, the worst of which i've seen was a motorcycle that lost its rear tire at around 100 mph, the guy saved it from wrecking but was out of the race and almost hit a wall.

I think improvments can be made to anything, think of the wright brothers when they first invented the plane, everyone probably thought that was a stupid idea, then they perfected it we had biplanes, and the quicker mono planes, then someone came out with the jet engine. improvments can always be made to anything.

One feild i could see these tires having a massive advantage is air planes, imagine military planes, they could land anywhere, never have to worry about a flat or a high speed blowout, these tires could of helped concorde keep flying as the stresses on the tires were very large. Think about it, next year we may all be asking where to get the newest performance tweel.

J~
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search