Bigger tires and MPG - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Bigger tires and MPG
Wednesday, June 08, 2005 9:19 AM
Will going from the 195/65/15 standard size to 205/65/15 or 215/60/15 decrease my MPG or any other negative things? I was hoping to get better tire life and looks by going one ot two sizes bigger.

The odometer error is about +1 mph with these sizes, nothing that I am too worried about.

Thanks!

Re: Bigger tires and MPG
Friday, June 10, 2005 1:37 PM
well your tires will be 10mm wider, so while youll have a little better traction, you have to remember that you DO have a little more tire to turn. I really don't think however, that it will have any adverse effects on your MPG. maybe 1mpg at worst in my opinion

Land Pirates sail the open roads
DISCLAIMER: If anything I say offends you, I don't care..wear a helmet. Also, the information
I post is what I know to the best of my knowledge. If I am wrong, please correct me so that
others as well as myself may learn.
Premium sinc 6-17-04
Friday, June 10, 2005 2:44 PM
hmmm...1 mpg is about a 3% reduction for me. Maybe I should stick with the stock size?
Friday, June 17, 2005 6:48 PM
if you increase your tread width and dont decrease your section (sidewall) height your new tire will be taller as well as wider, causing a change in true gear ratio and it could change your MPG depending on how much the tire heaight changes. it will also throw your speedo and odometer off. and they will be slightly heavier as well.

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search