215/35 17s? - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
215/35 17s?
Tuesday, June 14, 2005 7:41 AM
...ok, not really a wheel or tire guy...so would like some ops on this size tire. I know shorter tires = shorter gearing, and I never really thought about getting a set of 17s, til recently (I run 16 aftermarkets with 205/45s now)...but my business has been good, and my 16s look good, but weigh, like 22lbs each. Would like to upgrade to a lighter wheel, and I love the way 17s look. probably gonna go with a set of traklites or konig hurrys. anyway, anyonw ever run 215/35s? I know it would look like a rubber band covering the tire and would give a harsh ride...but my car is NOT a daily driver, I drive it MAYBE once a week (I own 3 different autos)...and if itll give better performance thru shorter gearing, cool...even if the ride is harsh. im thinking most people are gonna tell me to go with 215/40's tho....thanks in advance.

...don't hate!.. respect people that have talent, even if it is in something you don't like or understand.

Re: 215/35 17s?
Tuesday, June 14, 2005 9:16 AM
For correct speedo and odometer 45 series tires are proper for 17"

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 10:42 AM
....im not too concerned about speedo or odometer readings...but thank you, evansville. honestly, my car is worth nothing to anyone, excpet me, so im not concerned about mileage readings.

...don't hate!.. respect people that have talent, even if it is in something you don't like or understand.
Tuesday, June 14, 2005 1:47 PM
if you care about appearance then get the correct tire size.... going to smaller tires only increases wheel gap and causes you to have to lower the car even more to get the same effect which wears parts faster.

if its for performance, then your call

Thursday, June 16, 2005 11:40 AM
If it's for performance, then you'll have to tell us where you're looking for the best performance. You'll pick a different size for drag racing than you would for track racing or autox.

If it's just general overall performance then get the proper height for the car since going smaller is just going to hurt your fuel economy and generally be more of an annoyance than any sort of performance gain. And they look funny.

Thursday, June 16, 2005 11:46 AM
Wild Weasel wrote:And they look funny.

Sold 2/2/05
Friday, June 17, 2005 8:44 AM
......im more into road racing than drag...though to tell the truth, I dont compete at all, just kinda canyon carve. Just my lil weekend toy...I was originally thinking of a 40 series tire, but Ive seen some 17s recently on 40 series...the fender well gap is killing me. Is 215/45 a good road racing size? Figure theyll be a bit lighter than the 225s, still a decent footprint for a launch, and less to turn on the corners...whaddya think, wild weasel?

btw, if they do indeed fit (gotta find more info), im gonna go with the konig holes in graphite with maybe a set of pirelli pzero neros. think itll look nice, and the 17s only wiehg 17lbs. i liked the hurrys also....but they weigh, like, 21 lbs for the 17s. kinda ironic name, huh?

Friday, June 17, 2005 12:10 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "less to turn on the corners".

The weight difference between a 215 and 225 is gonna be pretty insignificant. When I think of a cornering advantage, I think of the wider footprint providing more grip.

I think they key here would be the wheel you're putting them on. If you get a really light 6" wide wheel then the 215's may sit better while the 225's may end up rolling a bit in hard corners. The weight savings from the wheels might be worth it.

But if you're running a 7-8" wheel where the 225's will fit good and solid then the extra grip provided will be to your advantage.

Honestly, if you're not competing then the difference is pretty much moot. You're not going to feel any difference between the two if you're not measuring lap times. Just go with whatever you get at a better price.

Friday, June 17, 2005 12:14 PM
I was just reading a post that Event made which addresses a point I haven't mentioned here.

All this banter about the two sizes is really only relevant between two tires of the same brand/model. A better tire for your purposes will outperform regardless of size here. A better tire in a 215 will perform better all around than a lesser 225 tire.

Just figured that's worth pointing out.

Friday, June 17, 2005 2:19 PM
ive got 225/45/17 falken azenis on mine and they will carve up the road as well as any other tire out there , ive been really happy with them as well as a few friends that have the same tire and size also

Friday, June 17, 2005 9:12 PM
I've got 215/45 17 BFG gForce KDW's on mine, and have been blown away by the performance. If you like to carve, these things are spectacular performers in dry or wet conditions. As for the original question though, I think next time I get them I'm going to buy 225's, these look nice and tight on the wheel, and they perform very well, but they seem to get a little shoulder wear on my 7.5 wheels.

I may not be the sharpest crayon in the box, but at least I'm a pretty color

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search