215/45/17 vs. 225/45/17 - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
215/45/17 vs. 225/45/17
Tuesday, June 14, 2005 10:05 PM
ok well i know that 225 is the closest to stock size, and puts more rubber on the road but I really want to see the advantages and disadvantages of each one. Then maybe I can decide from everyones experience which one to get.

Which one will perform better??

Which one will look better with a drop?

Which will affect gas mileage the least?

Which is heavier??

Which one is more prone to rubbing??

Which will last longer??

Which will handle and have better traction??

Any answers are appreciated, or if there is anything I missed, feel free to add anything else. Hopefully the responses will not only help me, but the newbies who post later on so they don't have to post the same questions over and over again. thanks.

Re: 215/45/17 vs. 225/45/17
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 11:54 AM
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 12:24 PM
ok no sh!t I read that already, what about the questions of mine your post doesn't answer
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 12:33 PM
5spd ecotec wrote:ok no sh!t I read that already, what about the questions of mine your post doesn't answer

it answer it, if you would sit and take a second to think about some OBVIOUS things....

Which one will perform better??--obviosuly will depend on the brand tire you use... size of a tire doesnt mean that much. people use smaller tires and get better performance based on the need of the tire size for said event. drag racing vs autoX is one example.

Which one will look better with a drop? -the one thats closest to stock size which IS answered in there. you didnt read. get a tire thats smaller than it should be then you have to fill in more wheel gap.

Which will affect gas mileage the least? - once again obviously the one closest to stock will be the most accurate to what your computer reads.

Which is heavier?? - prob the one with the most material, but since its a minute difference it wouldnt be noticed.

Which one is more prone to rubbing?? -isnt related to tire size that much if you buy the correct plus size, if you dont know what plus sizing is, you didnt read. rubbing is more an offset of the wheels issue.

Which will last longer?? -depends on the tires you buy not the size. this is answered in the tire tech area of the FAQ, about treadwear and tire hardness. softer tire gives more traction, has a shorter life.

Which will handle and have better traction?? usually thethe one with the larger footprint and the stickier tire. but this will have to be determined by the specs of each individual tire

since you did NOT ask about two different tires it would seem you would need to go to a tire site and do reasearch on tires treadwear rating and look at tire specs, WHICH IS STATED IN THE FAQ that you claim to have read

this is how people know when you read and just glanced at those posts.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 12:38 PM
and just for reference...it was covered....

Quote:

Discount Tire Direct, and many other major wheel and tire websites are good for picking up basic and advanced info. Click here and here for info about what the numbers you see around mean. This is their main page for wheel and tire FAQ if something here isn't covered

the numbers on a tire have alot more to do than just the size....

the performance, longevity, load ratings, etc are published there, and i know it was linked. this is the FIRST post in that thread that rob created, which answeres most of what you just asked.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 12:56 PM
well thank you for taking the time to answer the way i wanted it answered, and no i didn't just glance at that post, I read the whole thing, it's just that I needed it explained better so there is no confusion, what ifs, or mistakes down the road. Yes some of those questions are answered there, but I'm new to the whole wheel and tire thing.
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 1:01 PM
well just two things... you arent gonna get everything the way you WANT it....

and

the info is there, taking 5 minutes to read the links attached will answer even more than what you just asked.

i dont think its too much to ask that people take a bit more effort and learn completely than just glancing and learning half arsed info, when learning completely can further your car along farther...

thats not too much to ask is it?

those links there are explain IN FULL and..... with diagrams. if you actually did click on said links, the questions you aksed are answered and with diagrams so there really should be no confusion.

it tells you what EACH individual term means and what it stands for.

there are 3 links in the second sentence alone.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 1:14 PM
Is it me or did you not read my last post?? I said thank you and said that I was new to the whole wheel and tire thing. No need to get cocky
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 1:16 PM
this is great. dont piss event off. hes a very reliable source here. he was already missing for months and just came back. your questions got answered, just drop it and move along now

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 1:21 PM
5spd ecotec wrote:Is it me or did you not read my last post?? I said thank you and said that I was new to the whole wheel and tire thing. No need to get cocky

thats not getting cocky, thats simply giving you some advice.

cocky is stating "i know this and you dont, and i wont tell you, nanny nanny boo boo."

i'm simply giving you the advice that on any forum here, take time to read the posts and all the links throughly which will pretty much give you a base and beyond of info needed for modding your car.

as i said, i dont think its too much to ask in helping someone especially pointing them to directions with diagrams which would help explain something even bettter than written word.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 8:04 PM
5spd ecotec wrote:Is it me or did you not read my last post?? I said thank you and said that I was new to the whole wheel and tire thing. No need to get cocky

newb

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search