14' Racing Rims?????? - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
14' Racing Rims??????
Friday, June 17, 2005 10:18 AM
I have a friend that is getting 17 inch MR7s on his 98 Neon R/T, He has 14' Stock Rims that seem to be really light. We used a regular scale and I got 31lbs for rim/tire but 43.5lbs for the MR7 w/ a tire on it, all using the same scale. Would these 14 inch rims be quicker than my 15' steelies?

Any anyone know 100% sure the Neon R/T Rims will fit????

Re: 14' Racing Rims??????
Friday, June 17, 2005 10:45 AM
yea they are 5x100 thats what i got the most of when i googled it. honestly you wanna drop a rim size to save 50lbs? i wouldnt bother

Monday, June 20, 2005 8:00 AM
Anyone ?????

Monday, June 20, 2005 1:31 PM
I've used several of Dodge's 5x100mm fwd wheels on my cav and they work out fine. I currently have Dodge Shadow 15x6.5 rims and they fit great. In the past I have used Onni GLHS 15x6 rims and they fit also (however, the center hole was about 1/2mm to small in diameter to fit my front hubs - 3 minutes with a file and the fit became perfect).

In general, the Mopar rims (including all the Neon rims) will fit fine, are fairly light, and have about 40mm positive offset (vs >46mm = Cavalier), so they will set outward ~ 1/4". The offset difference is also no problem for both fit and bearing life and provides a slight performance advantage in widening the stance of the car ~ 1/2".

By the way, the benefits of a lighter wheel are significant. Racers would rather not spend big bucks on super light wheels - they do it for (in order of importance):

1. Lowering the rotational inertia of the wheel.
2. Reducing the unsprung weight on the suspension.
3. Reducing the weight of the car.

How many people on this forum swear up and down about the performance increase by changing to lighter, smaller pullies on their engine? Of course we are only talking a few ounces with an engine pulley, not pounds and large diameters like a wheel!

Additionally, depending on the tire diameter (smaller), you can get a little better acceleration due to the effect on the gear ratios (of course, your speedo will be off too)

Go for it. The Neon rim looks pretty good too.
Monday, June 20, 2005 3:46 PM
arris tech wrote:I've used several of Dodge's 5x100mm fwd wheels on my cav and they work out fine. I currently have Dodge Shadow 15x6.5 rims and they fit great. In the past I have used Onni GLHS 15x6 rims and they fit also (however, the center hole was about 1/2mm to small in diameter to fit my front hubs - 3 minutes with a file and the fit became perfect).

In general, the Mopar rims (including all the Neon rims) will fit fine, are fairly light, and have about 40mm positive offset (vs >46mm = Cavalier), so they will set outward ~ 1/4". The offset difference is also no problem for both fit and bearing life and provides a slight performance advantage in widening the stance of the car ~ 1/2".

By the way, the benefits of a lighter wheel are significant. Racers would rather not spend big bucks on super light wheels - they do it for (in order of importance):

1. Lowering the rotational inertia of the wheel.
2. Reducing the unsprung weight on the suspension.
3. Reducing the weight of the car.

How many people on this forum swear up and down about the performance increase by changing to lighter, smaller pullies on their engine? Of course we are only talking a few ounces with an engine pulley, not pounds and large diameters like a wheel!

Additionally, depending on the tire diameter (smaller), you can get a little better acceleration due to the effect on the gear ratios (of course, your speedo will be off too)

Go for it. The Neon rim looks pretty good too.

Thanks SO much!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search