25 mm offset - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
25 mm offset
Wednesday, August 24, 2005 7:44 PM
the stock offset is at 42 mm. I dont like how far the tires sit in the wheel well, so here is what i was thinking...

My friend has some rims with 50mm offset that he will give to me. I want to get 1" adapters and kick them out. The rims are 17x7. What does everyone think?

2004 Cavalier, 2.2L Ecotec
1965 El Camino, 396 BBC, 14:1, 800 BHP

Re: 25 mm offset
Wednesday, August 24, 2005 8:05 PM
i dont think i can put as many of these as i can in one post

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Wednesday, August 24, 2005 8:08 PM
but please feel free to read the FAQ about offsets.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005 9:13 PM
lol best reply evAr! This belongs in the Newbies forum.

Thursday, August 25, 2005 3:37 AM
.......CLASSIC...............

ClassGlass / RkSport / Eibach / Motegi / Ractive / Borla / K&N

Thursday, August 25, 2005 4:42 AM

Thursday, August 25, 2005 6:04 AM
Well... if he's got a widebody kit then this could be a reasonable request.

I mean, 50 mm is higher than most of the people here are running so the wheels are already moved inward a cm or so further than most. So moving them back out an inch from there isn't gonna give him that Mexican lowrider look or anything.

You will definitely need to replace the studs though (unless you're using spacers with built-in replacement studs) and may well end up prematurely wearing your bearings due to the way the load will be put on them.

Thursday, August 25, 2005 9:10 AM
Didn't a guy rip his studs off when he did a 5/8 inch spacer with extended lugs a couple of weeks back?

Jay

Thursday, August 25, 2005 5:47 PM
Viper98912 wrote:i dont think i can put as many of these as i can in one post

lil' more..

Thursday, August 25, 2005 7:12 PM
Viper98912 that was uncalled for.

The adapters come with built in studs. With a 1" kick-out on 50 mm you gain about 1/2" more kick-out than stock. Have you seen how far the wheels sit in stock?

so the worst i would do is unnecessarily load the bearings?

by the way, i hate doing this becuase it becomes a d!ck measuring contest, but my other car is a 65 el camino pumping 600 hp out of a 14:1 CR 396 BBC. I'll admit to knowing little about a lot of systems on cars, especially how to get the wheels to look correct on the car. I asked a simple question, i didnt need a childish response.

Thursday, August 25, 2005 7:30 PM
Demonchild wrote:by the way, i hate doing this becuase it becomes a d!ck measuring contest, but my other car is a 65 el camino pumping 600 hp out of a 14:1 CR 396 BBC. I'll admit to knowing little about a lot of systems on cars, especially how to get the wheels to look correct on the car. I asked a simple question, i didnt need a childish response.

oh really? then you just made yourself look more of an ass because of this little statement, because if you knew wtf you were talking about, at least, in terms of sport compacts and not old schools, you would know that this offset is rediculous. a 35 offset on any 7" wheel is almost lining up with the fender edge, meaning that if you kick it out another centimeter, you will definitely be resting on the fender edge on each bump you hit (if you're dropped, etc), besides looking like you belong in an older snoop or dre video. anything less than 35 is not good.

so yes, your penis is small.

but i love ya anyway

Thursday, August 25, 2005 7:33 PM
ps - your stock steelies (at least according to your profile) may be at 42 offset (which is actually debate-able against 47), with a 6 INCH width, not 7. so once again, read the faq please. specifically, the part that weasel talks about with offsets.

and yes, your wheel bearings will last less than 6 months.

Friday, August 26, 2005 6:54 PM
owned.

Friday, August 26, 2005 9:44 PM
alright alright alright. time to clear this up, not joking or being an ass, this is a serz' comment.

running anything lower than a 35 offset on a cavy wont work nor look right, and u'll probably cut up your tire alot. this is based on 7-8" wheels. stick somewhere between 35-45, and you should be ok. if you really want to kick out the wheels, run a 35 offset on a 7.5" wheel (this is the normal size for a lot of 18's) and it'll be just with the fender edge.

Friday, August 26, 2005 9:52 PM
Even 35mm is a tad much..

Did everyone forget that the rear wheels are set into the body more than the front's?

I run 19x7.5"+45mm offset and the fronts are damn near flush with the fender.

+25's just aren't going to work. That's more suited for RWD type platforms, like my other car. It uses +18mm in front and -10mm in rear stock(or 0, depending on wheel width.)

16x7 or 16x8 fronts at +18mm.
16x8(-10mm) or 16x9(0mm) rears..

"If life throws you a curve, pop the clutch and drift it!"
Saturday, August 27, 2005 4:26 PM
Demonchild wrote:by the way, i hate doing this becuase it becomes a d!ck measuring contest, but my other car is a 65 el camino pumping 600 hp out of a 14:1 CR 396 BBC. I'll admit to knowing little about a lot of systems on cars, especially how to get the wheels to look correct on the car. I asked a simple question, i didnt need a childish response.

I said i KNOW LITTLE not that i KNOW A LITTLE. This means that i dont know wtf im talking about. that is also the reason i ran it past you guys first. I like your responses toward the end becasue they help me out.

two more questions:

how did someone rip studs out with longer studs and spacers?

what is the optimal offset to run on 17x7s. is it the stock 42?

Saturday, August 27, 2005 5:00 PM
the farther away from the hub you put the wheels, the more stress you create on the hub, and, if using aftermarket wheels with no hub rings, all that stress is now on the studs. snap.

optimal offset like i said if you want the rims to be flush w/ the fenders is 35.

Sunday, August 28, 2005 2:22 PM
ok, interesting thought. Will a set of hub rings change the offset or will i not have to account for them?

Sunday, August 28, 2005 4:48 PM
ok, my wheels are a 40mm offset with a 17x7 rim and they stick out about a quarter inch or so on the front fenders, which to me looks real nice......so taking a 50mm offset and spacing them an inch is gonna put the wheel out about an inch from the fender, which just looks dumb to me, but if you like it, go for it

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search