Why the flats? - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Why the flats?
Monday, October 03, 2005 5:24 PM
I have stock 99 Z24 rims with the low pro tires or whatever.....and today my grandpa told me a got a right rear and front left flat.....and i havent driving the car for like a week. any one know what could have caused it? he took it to the tired place to see what happened but it will be like 2 days....just looking for ideas.

FOR SALE: (5) '95-'99 Z24 Rims

Re: Why the flats?
Monday, October 03, 2005 5:31 PM
number of things

1) could be a nail in either tire causing a slow leak
2) could be a bad bead around the rim causing a slow leak
3) the needle in the valve stem could be loose and if there is no cap on the valve stem it will leak
4) someone let the air out

Monday, October 03, 2005 7:15 PM
well it was locked up in a garage...and my grandpa didnt see any nails or punctures....it would be wierd if they both had a lose needle or a bad bead at the same time.....

Monday, October 03, 2005 8:37 PM
How old are the tires?

Monday, October 03, 2005 9:23 PM
Aluminum rims can be porous and the air can actually leak out through the rim. GM goes into great detail in the factory service manual describing how to repair a leaky aluminum rim. Probably not your problem, but just something to consider.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 7:18 AM
Lees04Cav wrote:Aluminum rims can be porous and the air can actually leak out through the rim.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Tuesday, October 04, 2005 10:25 AM
/\ /\ /\ Lees right I had an old ass Firebird wheel that leeked air right thru the wheel itself.
True it is very rare but this is the main reason why aluminium wheel are clearcoated.
The clearcoat helps to seal those leaks. You'll need to put the wheels into tub of water and look very closely at the rim itself for tiny little bubles. If you find any the wheel can be fixed but it requirers takeing the yire off and takeing it to a shop that can weld aluminium. They'll remove the bad section of wheel and weld in new metal and the leak will be gone. I know it sounds weird but I had to do it on 2 wheels at 2 different
times. It only threw off the balence by a 1/4 once so it wasn't bad at all. Oh and the fix cost me like $30.00 each so it was worth the price.

good luck.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 12:51 PM
thanks for the help

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 8:07 PM
Hi ya'll. I had a Camaro several years ago with the old Cragar Slot wheels, the aluminum leaked right through the wheel. At that time not many people in the sticks
where I lived would weld aluminum. I dismounted the wheel, and liberally sprayed
wheel where the tire usually is with auto clear coat. After about 4 coats, and let it dry
well re-mounted the wheel and it never leaked again. Might be worth a try with
a spray-bomb of clear.
D.
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 5:09 PM
well, i guess they fixed one and my grandpa had to order me a new one.....the old one was bent and that might have been the problem.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search